Safe Ice anywhere around Rochester?

Sneaky Duck

Guys, I haven't been out once this year.  I'm a bit nervous about the weather we've had and since my little girl is my fishing buddy... I haven't wanted to risk it.  Do we have safe Ice anywhere?  We were thinking about going out tomorrow.

Thanks!

That must have been late this afternoon you noticed that.  I swung past around 3 and didn't see anything but a set of footprints going straight across the shallow/swampy part.  Thanks for the info!  Maybe we'll head over tomorrow after work.  I just want to get a line in the water.

Ice is 5 to 7 inches all the way across the South end. Maybe 5 inches of snow with 4-5 inches of slush between the snow and the ice. Drag while not perfect could have been a lot worse. Parking lot was plowed. Perch were hitting with an occasional bluegill for me. WAX WORMS and perch minnows were working well. About 15 shanties were on the South end with maybe 20-30 more guys on buckets.

The cold temps tonite and Thursday will hopefully freeze up the slush. Plan on going back Friday. The weekend I bet will be a zoo.

Ice is 5 to 7 inches all the way across the South end. Maybe 5 inches of snow with 4-5 inches of slush between the snow and the ice. Drag while not perfect could have been a lot worse. Parking lot was plowed. Perch were hitting with an occasional bluegill for me. WAX WORMS and perch minnows were working well. About 15 shanties were on the South end with maybe 20-30 more guys on buckets.

The cold temps tonite and Thursday will hopefully freeze up the slush. Plan on going back Friday. The weekend I bet will be a zoo.

Did you get out today? How was the ice and the drag?

The drag was easy.  Most of the slush was gone.  Just an inch of powder on top of the ice so you did not slip.  Every now and then my foot might go down a few inches but most of the slush was gone.  7 inches of good ice.  I went right to the west side of the lake from the launch at the south end.

The bite was really slow and the wind was beyond brutal.  A lot of people were out and a lot of people packed it in when I left.