Copper Length

gleicha

I would like to set up a cooper rod to run out the shoot. I've read a lot here about length of copper. I know the more copper the deeper you can fish. Looks like there are different opinions for the right length to use. If I'm setting up from scratch can I just go with 500 or 600 ft setup and then only put out 300 ft?

I would like to set up a cooper rod to run out the shoot. I've read a lot here about length of copper. I know the more copper the deeper you can fish. Looks like there are different opinions for the right length to use. If I'm setting up from scratch can I just go with 500 or 600 ft setup and then only put out 300 ft?

For first timers running copper i would never suggest for you to go out and buy a 600' copper. Start with something like 400' or less and learn the ins and outs of copper first. Just like with everything else, there is a learning curve. 

Especially if your only fun fishing.... there is no fun in cranking copper. 300's and 400's put plenty of fish in the boat. If your fishing tournaments that's when the big dogs may have there place other than that leave them at the dock.

Edited by JakeyBaby

Nah, get a 500 on a Tekota 800 with a line counter. The line counter is not accurate...but if you let it all out you will probably end up with a number of 580 or something like that. Divide that by 5. That number is close to how many feet out for every 100 feet. Or get a Daiwa seagate 60 and mark it every 50 or 100 with black spray paint.

My first copper was a 600' marked every 100'. Ran it down the chute and put out what I thought I needed to get to the fish I was marking. Great way to get into copper fishing. I think a 500 would be just as effective, and your reel choices are much broader.

Edited by Yankee Troller

What Rick Said... get it on a high speed reel and mark it every 100 feet with spray paint for about 3 to 4 feet of it. Something high contrast...black.. maybe florescent orange or green or all three for reference..(sometimes things get distracting and it helps to know which color is out). Drop it in behind the boat and play it out per color and let the color sit at the water surface..45 lb every 100 feet, 20 to 22 feet down. 32 lb every 100 feet, 18 to 20 feet down.

No science in it,  just duplicate the best bite zone you have experienced each particular day by color, or in between with a specific # of passes on the line guide of the reel. Simple, but, move it one side or the other or haul it in if you have a screamer on another line.