Salmon Showdown

GAMBLER

So you are laughing cause you agree or do you think I'm an idiot? :D

Seriously I like the show but I couldn't tell you one captains name or what they do besides run a thirty foot yacht after small salmon. There is never a mention as to what a Twinkie rig is? Meat rig? The show never mentions one technique for fishing these fish. Dipsy rods, lead cores, copper, what's the difference between a spin doctor and a paddle? Not saying I know all this stuff but it would be a great add on for the show. An equipment section that explains and sells some of the gear would be cool. Water depths, water temps, how the lake stratifies, how that affects fish and bait all info that would be sellers for depth finders and temp probes.

Sponsors are probably trying to get Wicked Tuna guys to run their gear. That show makes it personal between captains... Just a friendly suggestion to add onto my second favorite show on TV!

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just funny what you said about Scott. You said he was dry and I thought it was funny. Thats all.

Edited by ChaseMaser

Just funny what you said about Scott. You said he was dry and I thought it was funny. Thats all.

No apology needed! Like I said I'm a big fan! Nice job on the production. Wouldn't be to hard to find the drama between the captains here on this site!

And if I can add a bit of self deprecating humor.

I think we've had 1 fishing technique segment in our 6 seasons. But thats it.  :rofl:

I get where you're coming from, and we've had more then 1. Its a constant struggle to add these in. And theres a consious effort every year to add more. It comes down to time allocation and how quickly 21 minutes and 30 seconds get gobbled up by everything else. These aren't excuses just the nature of the beast.

I'll say drama is tricky. I can tell you Ive heard it before when guys say you'll get plenty of good stuff from us, but as soon as a camera turns on they get quite. Happens every year.

We love reading critiques of our show. And we love reading all the positive and critical comments.

And if I can add a bit of self deprecating humor.

I think we've had 1 fishing technique segment in our 6 seasons. But thats it. :rofl:

I get where you're coming from, and we've had more then 1. Its a constant struggle to add these in. And theres a consious effort every year to add more. It comes down to time allocation and how quickly 21 minutes and 30 seconds get gobbled up by everything else. These aren't excuses just the nature of the beast.

I'll say drama is tricky. I can tell you Ive heard it before when guys say you'll get plenty of good stuff from us, but as soon as a camera turns on they get quite. Happens every year.

We love reading critiques of our show. And we love reading all the positive and critical comments.

Just come to the Rochester/Hamlin area and well supply you with as much drama as you want and I'll guarantee these mouths don't clam up when the camera is on!

I can tell you I did, and that's not like me. These guys know I have no problems talking, but that camera rolling leaves me speechless.

I can tell you I did, and that's not like me. These guys know I have no problems talking, but that camera rolling leaves me speechless.

With that said I guess we really need to keep a TV camera on the Yankee Troller at all times :lol:

I know having been an observer on Scot'ts boat once there would be plenty of footage needing to be cut in the editing room :lol:   

I watched the show for a full season and it got pretty bored after about 3 episodes. I see these guys getting all jacked up over a 13-15lb salmon or even worse yet a lake trout the size that Brian catches by the dozen in about 15 minutes on the water is pretty lame. I'm trying to figure out who watches the show enough to keep it on the air :wondering: ?

Edited by FISHINMAN

Although the fish are small, I enjoy watching the series.

Salmon Showdown is fun...and it is great watching captains running 200K rigs getting excited over 10lbs salmon.

Its the only show we have about OUR game. Tactics would be too dry for average people to care--they need some casual anglers and even some non anglers to watch in order to be successful. It's all about the game plans, challenges presented by fish, weather, mechanical, and even other competitors. The harbor shots are just as important as the fish.

As long as there are SALMON it will have 200K(some 1 million) vessels running all over the place. Throw in the "Team" concept and the dockside camaraderie and it works.

It was only a couple years ago they had a lot of delayed maturity and big fish(20 plus) but even 10lb Kings are worthy of pursuing and the publics attention. 

If you know what to look for, you can see there spread and pick up some info. The long leads and hand lining of the fish is something I have never tried. The long leader on the dipsey rods intrigues me and yes the fish are smaller but the technique is still unique and they must believe in it because they mostly all do it. I mean some of there dipsey leads are longer or similar to leads i run off riggers. Why the standard dipsey and not a slide diver in some situations? I have heard a lot from reading about the importance of a properly presented spread, but the long leads on the dipsey in my opinion supports more of a stealth approach. I would love some feed back on the long lead on the dipsey.

I love the long dipsy lead on my dipsys. The action you get out of your SD or paddle makes a big difference. Also its a great way to add " stealth" 15-18' but any longer is too much IMO. side note, I fish finger lakes mostly. Running wire on your dipsy setup is also key.

I agree with you guys its interesting to me that a major sponsor won't step up and do something for trout and salmon on the Great Lakes. I always thought it would be neat to do the qualifying events on Lake o and Lake Michigan and have a championship for all the teams at one location and have a overall champion. Maybe a championship on Lake Huron? or Superior? 

Boat ramp drama alone would be worth the price of admission

I have watched every season of the Salmon Showdown on line over the last 4-5 years, once I heard about it. I know my intrigue is just fueled by the fact that its on in the middle of the winter, when I am most getting anxious to fish and hear the reels screaming. There are lots of "youtube" videos I can watch as well, that show people getting fish (so many GoPro's and so little time), but I do enjoy some of the banter and editing that makes Salmon Showdown and the $10K grand prize exciting. I have wondered if I had some time and crew, if it wouldn't be fun one summer to see if they wanted a NY Based team to come and drag the boat for a month or more up there, fish 4 tourney's in a row for the 333. But like many of you, I wondered why we could not develop a similar showdown here on Lake Ontario. If it works for the Michigan/Wisconsin people, it should work here. Just might take some development. I like the format, but there are some changes I am sure we could all use. Bottom line, it is the ONLY show I have found that promotes trolling for trout and Salmon, not just trib fishing or commercial fishing like a couple of the Alaskan shows. This shows a true sport and the excitement that it holds and we really do need more of that here in Lake O (US and CAN sides) to drive more conservation efforts and stocking programs.

Put a camera on my 16 footer in 4 foot waves, add some dramatic music while I look as nervous as possible, I say that we might not make it back this time, and we have a show. The fact that I catch fish and can act like an idiot is just a bonus.

Put a camera on my 16 footer in 4 foot waves, add some dramatic music while I look as nervous as possible, I say that we might not make it back this time, and we have a show. The fact that I catch fish and can act like an idiot is just a bonus.

:rofl:  :rofl: :rofl:  :ninja:  

I've wondered why they spend all that money in those individual tournaments and just concentrate on the 333? I'm mean $10,000 is nice but don't most of them tournies push that? Or is it just to get on t.v.?

Silver Fox,

For our team its always a debate to focus on main tourney or 333. The single tournaments average about 3-5k for first place. The other thing is when your on tv Salmon Showdown only highlights your position in the 333 so if you decide to focus on the main event and not the 333 you will look like a googan on tv! LOL

I've wondered why they spend all that money in those individual tournaments and just concentrate on the 333? I'm mean $10,000 is nice but don't most of them tournies push that? Or is it just to get on t.v.?

Scott in talking with other Lake MI teams the payouts in the "host" tourneys is nothing like we have here on Lake O. Like Russel said 3-5k for first. We get that at our little Oak Orchard Open. We see teams from Lake MI every year coming over and competing for the big payouts we have on Lake O. One of them fishes 3 events on this lake now.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Well Russel, your obviously making correct decisions or nobody would be know about you and your new tackle business. Good job buddy.

And Rick, maybe if we ever get a hair up our butt some year, well drag the Fox over to Michigan and take their $. Lol

Well Russel, your obviously making correct decisions or nobody would be know about you and your new tackle business. Good job buddy.

And Rick, maybe if we ever get a hair up our butt some year, well drag the Fox over to Michigan and take their $. Lol

I'm in! 

French and I thought you were going to slit your wrist after last years tournament season, and now you want to go to Lake MI? You guys are nuts for wanting to go there. Larger fish and better payouts on Lake O!

What happened to you're "done fishing tourneys?"

Edited by Yankee Troller