Salmon Showdown

GAMBLER

After watching a couple episodes, I can't believe that this has not been done more on Lake Ontario.  I know they did the Wilson Harbor Invitational a couple years ago.  Why not the Pro Am, Oak Orchard open, Atommik Invitational, or other tournaments on the lake? 

That's outrageous! Definitely would be cool if they did though. A few years back the show Angling the Great Lakes covered the Pro Am's and the chase for the Cup when it existed, 5 shows in all.

Here is the link to one of episodes others are close by......

Watch "ATGL #812R.m4v" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/1m1QUfoKaqY

It has always been a head scratcher to me that Cabelas could cover a two-fish Redfish tournament (glorified sheephead) and not consider our sport.  Much more drama aboard a salmon tournament vessel running 8 rods.

I agree with you guys its interesting to me that a major sponsor won't step up and do something for trout and salmon on the Great Lakes. I always thought it would be neat to do the qualifying events on Lake o and Lake Michigan and have a championship for all the teams at one location and have a overall champion. Maybe a championship on Lake Huron? or Superior? 

The guys at Salmon Showdown do the WHI for us. It's not cheap, and a good chunk of sponsor $ goes to pay for this. I think we had enough footage from this last tourney to make this series more exciting than last years. 

Problem is that trolling the Great Lakes is a tiny market. Bass fishing and saltwater fishing is where the $$$ is at. Lets be honest here...bringing in 5-25lb fish on coppers and leadcore aren't exciting!

Major televised tournaments require huge sponsors, usually boat and motor manufacturers. If there isnt a market for new boat sales then its never gonna be televised on a major network. I agree with Gill on more drama in a salmon tournament, but bass fishing is gonna rule because they buy new boats regularly.

And hauling bass out of weeds with a heavy rod and 80lb braid is exciting?  Ever watch a walleye fishing show?  The Great Lakes market is tiny because it lacks exposure.  I have bumped into people that live right near the lake and they had no idea it had trout and salmon in it! 

And hauling bass out of weeds with a heavy rod and 80lb braid is exciting? Ever watch a walleye fishing show? The Great Lakes market is tiny because it lacks exposure. I have bumped into people that live right near the lake and they had no idea it had trout and salmon in it!

I am no Bass fishermen but that Major League Fishing is actually is exciting to watch. I wish we could lay that format out on the O for a tournament. All catch and release equals no dead fish! Unless you are running long copper of coarse...

I disagree with the appeal comment. I walleye fished tournaments for 4 years and was part of the MWC television series it was extremely boring to watch walleye hardly fight especially where the average size is 17-20 inches. Salmon are way more exciting and full of chaos. I believe the biggest barrier is the lack of boats and motor sponsorships which was brought up here and I think that is correct. If more guys were competing in 20ft lunds and rangers maybe they would throw some cash at the circuits to really get it going.

I disagree with the appeal comment. I walleye fished tournaments for 4 years and was part of the MWC television series it was extremely boring to watch walleye hardly fight especially where the average size is 17-20 inches. Salmon are way more exciting and full of chaos. I believe the biggest barrier is the lack of boats and motor sponsorships which was brought up here and I think that is correct. If more guys were competing in 20ft lunds and rangers maybe they would throw some cash at the circuits to really get it going.

I totally agree.  IMO, the Salmon Showdown is a great show but I would love to see more promotion of Lake Ontario tournaments too. 

I'm with Brian., I gave up bass fishing years ago because I was totally burned out on it for the reasons he stated. After watching those videos in this cold drab weather I found it pretty exciting feeling as though you were right there in the competition and looking forward to getting out there again this upcoming season. The basic lack of a decent ice fishing season has made it even more poignant. The thing about fishing in general and trout and salmon fishing in particular that is exciting is that you never know what may be one the other end of the line,  whether it is fully hooked, whether you will be able to get it to the boat or be able to net it or how big it will be. That part of the equation is the same for most of us whether in a tournament or not. After doing this many tens of thousands of times (or in the case of charter guys maybe 100 thousands of times) we may become a bit desensitized to the process...sort of like the compulsive gamblers pulling the lever on the old style slot machines time after time and not being impressed by the results even when they win substantially on a given pull :lol: All you have to do to judge the true excitement value of trout and salmon fishing is to turn on a kid or someone brand new to it and watch their behavior when they get onto a big king. Even seasoned fishermen who aren't doing it day after day as their living find it exciting. Admiral Byrd and I had a neighbor of mine (serious walleye and bass fisherman) with us after kings this Fall who had previously caught large fish of other species (e.g. 58 inch Musky etc.) and we thought he was going to pizz his pants for sure with a 26 pound king which he decided to have mounted :)  I think a lot of the difference in $$$$ in our sport vs. the bass tourneys etc. is the level of extensive support of sponsors and the highly organized nature of their tournament circuit that reaches across many states appealing greatly to national sponsors. The salt water tourneys are a whole other dimension as they involve things nationally and multi-nationally so they attract huge sponsorship and the entry fees are on a different level as well.

Edited by Sk8man

Are you kidding me Weaves?  This fishery is small compared to what it was in the 80's.  It could use more attention.  If the fishermen do not fish the lake, the fishery will not be here. 

I'm a land lubber.  Here more for the trib information.  I see busy boat launches when I am at the piers.  If you guys think the lake needs more attention, I'm not in a place to suggest otherwise.  Just thought I'd throw the thought out there.

I agree in order to sustain something it needs to have value other wise it will dwindle to nothing! As far as Lake Ontario goes unlike Michigan who cares about there ports and puts tons of money into there shore lines and we here can't even get the towns/ state to put a light up and at a public launch.

It is all about the editing to make it interesting.  Rick, how many people fish for Bluefin Tuna?  But "Wicked Tuna" has a following.

Great point!

And hauling bass out of weeds with a heavy rod and 80lb braid is exciting?  Ever watch a walleye fishing show?  The Great Lakes market is tiny because it lacks exposure.  I have bumped into people that live right near the lake and they had no idea it had trout and salmon in it! 

You can catch BASS in just about every state in the US. It's a HUGE market and more people fishing bass tourneys in one town than do Salmon tourneys on Lake Ontario. It's where the $$$$ is at!

I totally agree.  IMO, the Salmon Showdown is a great show but I would love to see more promotion of Lake Ontario tournaments too. 

If this is what you've always wanted then why did you alienate your pals FK? They were ALLLLL about this!

You guys want some drama? I'm talking Salmon DRAMA!?!?!?!?!?

I'm calling out Russel to bring his team to Lake Ontario! I want some of their MONEY!

I'm editing this to add that I'm bored at work, I've fished a total of twice since the boat went away (very rare for me), and I'd really like to see more Lake MI teams come fish our events with big payouts.

Edited by Yankee Troller