Clarion 553LS-Copper

Can I run 500' of copper on a Clarion 553LS?  Would it be better to go to a Soltera 50L for a 500' Copper?

Solterra. You can only fit about 100' of backing on a 553 with 500' of copper

Check out this link...

http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52303-okuma-reels-copper-spooling-chart/

Okuma Clarion High Speed

CLR-553LS Right 2BB + 1 RB 6.2:1 30.7 25/680

30/520

40/440 53 22

520 divided by 57 shows the reel having 9.12 cubic inches

500 feet of 45# blood run takes 6.5 cu inches leaving the rest of 2.62 cu inch for backing.

100 feet of 50 lb power pro takes .27 cu in.

2.62 divided by .27 equals 9.7

9.7 X 100 equals 970 feet for backing

I'm not familiar with the 553, but calculation says it will fit. I trust the calculation as it says the capacity of 30lb mono is 520 yards.

If in doubt, I would go with 30lb braid backing, or with 32lb copper. Either will definitely fit with 900 feet backing

Unless I can't trust the specs, but I would believe it to be true.

In comparison I do have a Seagate 60 and it does have 400 feet of 45# copper with 900 feet of 30 lb braid.

It's capacity is 450 yards of 30 lb mono.

If you have the reel try it, and let me know.

Edited by skipper19

Can I run 500' of copper on a Clarion 553LS?  Would it be better to go to a Soltera 50L for a 500' Copper?

The Clarion 553LS is a speed merchant--best used for Coppers 300' and less and cores. You will appreciate the POWER of the 50L despite the added weight, not to mention the extra backing capability.

Edited by Capt Vince Pierleoni

The Clarion 553LS is a speed merchant--best used for Coppers 300' and less and cores. You will appreciate the POWER of the 50L despite the added weight, not to mention the extra backing capability.

Good Point Vince!...Like the Seagate 60, it is very quick on the pickup, but when that spool starts to grow in diameter, it gets tougher to reel without pumping the rod, and arms get wobbly.. :lol:

Okuma Clarion High Speed

CLR-553LS Right 2BB + 1 RB 6.2:1 30.7 25/680

30/520

40/440 53 22

520 divided by 57 shows the reel having 9.12 cubic inches

500 feet of 45# blood run takes 6.5 cu inches leaving the rest of 2.62 cu inch for backing.

100 feet of 50 lb power pro takes .27 cu in.

2.62 divided by .27 equals 9.7

9.7 X 100 equals 970 feet for backing

I'm not familiar with the 553, but calculation says it will fit. I trust the calculation as it says the capacity of 30lb mono is 520 yards.

If in doubt, I would go with 30lb braid backing, or with 32lb copper. Either will definitely fit with 900 feet backing

Unless I can't trust the specs, but I would believe it to be true.

In comparison I do have a Seagate 60 and it does have 400 feet of 45# copper with 900 feet of 30 lb braid.

It's capacity is 450 yards of 30 lb mono.

If you have the reel try it, and let me know.

Skipper, all of my reel fill numbers are not calculations or estimates. They were physically done and confirmed by me personally. http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52303-okuma-reels-copper-spooling-chart/

I went with the calculations several years ago and bought a 553LS for a 500 copper. Used 300 yds 30lb braid for backing and maxed out with only 450ft of 32lb copper. You can't beat hands on experience. Love that retrieve rate on the 553 though.

Skipper, all of my reel fill numbers are not calculations or estimates. They were physically done and confirmed by me personally. http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52303-okuma-reels-copper-spooling-chart/

Edited by UNREEL

Skipper, all of my reel fill numbers are not calculations or estimates. They were physically done and confirmed by me personally. http://www.lakeontariounited.com/fishing-hunting/topic/52303-okuma-reels-copper-spooling-chart/

Rob, was that with the Blood Run wire? Maybe the specs I found are wrong for that reel. Seems unlikely that something can hold 520 yards of 30 lb mono would fit less than a Daiwa Seagate 60 with 450 yard specs for the same pound mono.  Of the two Seagates I have one spooled with 600 32 lb blood run and 900 30# backing, the other has 400 45# blood run and 900 30# backing.

I used laser ranging for the copper measurement, and the backing was a reel fill spool off the shelf for 300 yards, used it all.

Edited by skipper19

I would say then that the Daiwa offerings are accurate, as their advertised manufacture capacity is what is also on the packing box and I have measured. I have found the Okuma offerings have been different on the packing box from the manufacturers claim...not sure why. Printing error maybe, but I have 2 Okuma reels of the same model, and they both are advertised different, and they both used any amount of what my calculations covered and a little more. they are over tight with a wind on leader, but not unusable in that respect. That throws everything out the window, unless you do what you did with the Okuma reels and hand checked them. It would be interesting to see what amount of 30# mono actually runs on their spools...