MANDATORY ANTLER RESTRICTION WILL BE VOLUNTARY FOR MOST OF NEW YORK STATE

Legacy

It's a easy solution stop buying NYS hunting licenses. I did I only get a trapping tag and fishing license.

Go to Ohio like I do where they have the rich soils and nutrients that big Bucks need.

And acorns the size of golf balls. Lol

If you spend a week in ohio woods you prolly won't want to waste your time or money in NYS!! And you might get that buck of a lifetime there they are not as far an few between like NYS. License sales were down this year and I hope they are lower next year!! Give NYS nothing you don't have to!!

I live 10 miles above antler restrictions and own a large farm which we passed small bucks starting 10 yrs ago which did good about 5 yrs ago until guys decided to leave there restriction zone and come around here to fill a tag and after the first week the deer drives begin around us and every yearling deer there is gets lead the brown it's down effect and I have learned that the crowd is coming out of the restrictions area to get meat. They don't stand a chance getting passed. Just my 2 cents!!

Antler restrictions are not a fool proof way to attain mature bucks (with big racks which everyone associates with).  Some deer will never meet them.  I started going by this as much as possible - sometimes it is hard to tell under certain circumstances.

http://www.1atexasdeerhunting.com/bodyagingdeer.htm

Voluntary?  So basically it is the same as ever and will be for the next 5yrs...  Everyone and their hunting party should decide anyways.  My family has become much more selective over the years.  We know the deer are there but the hunting pressure is such that the deer pattern us well and I have always said they are pretty smart.  It works out though, because the herd gets healthier.  My family had a terrible season this year but I will be the last person to tell you the deer were not there.

Ironically:  One of my best friends is a tree hugger.  We get along great because of the debates that we have had.  She always made the point that we call ourselves conservationists and sportsman but we intend to cull the strongest from the herd which is against all of nature's predation which always removes the weakest parts of the herd which in turn makes the herd stronger.  So her point is that  (and mind you she isn't anti hunting) that if we truly cared about the herd we would be culling the weakest animals first.

I am thinking about Ohio/Indiana next year too.  I want to know what it feels like to pass up 8pt'rs because they are too young knowing that a mature one will be coming by soon.

Glad I am not the only one.

The Truth is you can't kill elephants in rabbit country!!!

Stop wasting money in NYS!!!

I have tried to pass them and let them grow but it's a tuff deal in NYS.

My area is a 15.9 hunters per sq mile.

And only one buck gets killed and reported per sq mile. LOL DEC stats. Crazy.

In my 15 serious ny deer hunting years everyday in the woods for 2 to 3 months I have only seen a hand full of bucks over a 130".

One or two weeks in Ohio I see more big bucks 140" an better class bucks!!

Then I did wasting my time in NYS for 15yrs!!!!

The Licenses are cheap in Ohio to for a non resident. Stop cheating yourself and go give it a try.

We have a great whitetail hunting in ny, there are plenty of trophy bucks out there. Now days everyone wants a trophy, even the guy who is wearing carharts and smoking on way to his stand. Be smarter than the guys hunting next to you.  If it aint broke don't fix it! Access to good land is key, if your not willing to help landowners with property maintenance, fire wood, posting property or what ever than that's ur prob. Lets face it ever since the NYS state dec has started changing hunting dates, bag limits ect. it has been a downward spiral for our deer heard.

We do have big bucks far an few between tho...... You can sit in NY and keep dreaming of that giant coming or go to Ohio where they are plentiful!!!!!

We hunt Crawford farm in southern Ohio in southern Adams county!!!

Google Crawford farm in Ohio and you show me a property that knocks down bucks like them and as many in a season year in and year out on a 1000 acre area in NYS.

It won't ever happen fellows. Sorry to be so honest. Imo ny is a meat hunter state.

Imo ny deer herd is hurting to many hunters not enough deer!! In my area for sure!!!

We do have big bucks far an few between tho...... You can sit in NY and keep dreaming of that giant coming or go to Ohio where they are plentiful!!!!!

We hunt Crawford farm in southern Ohio in southern Adams county!!!

Google Crawford farm in Ohio and you show me a property that knocks down bucks like them and as many in a season year in and year out on a 1000 acre area in NYS.

It won't ever happen fellows. Sorry to be so honest. Imo ny is a meat hunter state.

Imo ny deer herd is hurting to many hunters not enough deer!! In my area for sure!!!

Great??? Plenty of trophys??? OK... 

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/top-10-worst-deer-hunting-states/

I'm lucky enough to hunt the land I own behind my house in an area that holds big "NY bucks".  I still leave the peak of the NY rut to hunt out of state every year for the same reasons stated by BigWilly.  Out of state, I find laying off on a 3.5 yo deer is one of the toughest decisions to make.  

The majority of bucks shot in NY are less then 1.5 yo. Learning to judge a deer's age accurately on the hoof is a skill that requires training which some spend time doing, some don't care about, and some are misinformed.  

AR's do protect approximately 50% of yearling bucks their first year.  So, whatever their genetics, they get a chance.  I would suggest that headgear is one of the poorest indicators of genetic superiority of whitetails.  Instincts, resistance to disease, intelligence, & body configuration,  etc, would all be more favorable genetic characteristics then a large rack.  I've seen many big racked bucks get whooped by more aggressive smaller bucks. Some big racked bucks just aren't as strong & aggressive as others.  Just imagine if our hair alone told you everything about our genetic makeup. 

Didn't buy a license here last year, not because I'm getting old either. I thought about that fact, but then I finally thought about it and, discovered it wasn't worth wasting my last possible decade of energy on this states goofy ideas in reality. I would actually prefer to see good numbers of bucks, rather than make my bones sit in the woods all day. Not that I don't enjoy the woods, but would rather be entertained by some prospects instead of watching birds...

It all comes down to the property that your boots are on! Trail cameras do tend to prove that there are Giants in this state..... actually seeing them and killing them is a different game. NY bucks are wiser to human presence then other states mentioned IMO. Robs thread this year proved that some guys are seeing a "shooter" every other trip to the woods and others didn't see a single one all season. Me personally it took till November 29th b4 I put my eyes on one and I hunt my balls off for a opportunity at a mature animal. But mature animals arnt even the problem right now its the shear numbers of Whitetails thats the problem. Having to travel to another state to have the opportunity to hunt a healthy deer heard is not the answer here! Having the state pulling there head out of there a$$'s is the answer hands down.

I'm with you skipper to old to waste time fixing NYS problems it's quicker and easier to go else where and not watch birds and squirrels.

Jake - The "elite" land you talk about is far and few between in NYS. It's there I know this but far and few between like the deer.

A lot of states have big bucks but how many is the real question. Like the stats say NY hunters kill a lot of 1 year ol bucks. Lol

I know my odds are better else where then trying to fix Ny!!

You can jack Bucks here in NY with a slap on a wrist!!

Try to jack a Buck or turn a spot light on in OHIO and you better dig DEEP.

They charge by the inches of antler on the BUCK jacked. Lol. 10k 20k. Lol.

My odds are better in OHIO.

I will stay tuned to see how NY gets fixed while killing nice ones in OHIO while smoking a ciggerate they are pretty DUMB deer out there. LOL.

As far as wasting time - I already told myself that next year I am fishing.  The last 3 months of the year is excellent fishing and I am staring at squirrels no more.  I will give it an honest go early and then the camo comes off and the waders go on. 

I'm not arguing the fact to travel to kill a big deer as we already have plans to go to Ohio this coming season for a chance at out of state slammer. But the reason other states have the quality deer hunting and laws you speak of are are due to the DNR In those states care about the whitetails and the hunters who chase them. It's never to late to fix a problem! I'm not totally worried about myself with it, but what about my kids and others? The deer will be completely demolished by the time they get a chance to pull a trigger the way things are going, and to be completely honest I'm not ok with that. I look forward to spending time in the woods with my kids and if the deer are not there to be taken then I won't get the chance to do that. This rant by ME isn't necessarily about racks it's about numbers. Did you know that when it comes down to genetics that the Doe is more important then the Buck it self? Can't lay eggs without a hen just sayin......

Totally agree jake!!!

And of course I know about doe and genes and hens and eggs. Lol.

That's why I am in the process of buying land in Ohio !! Lol

I have children so I couldn't agree more.

To many hunters in NYS. Imo

I personally only live in NY because of work honestly.

Lots of things at play that the DEC considers.  Lobbyists from the automobile insurance agencies, QDMA members that want antler restrictions, out-of-state and in-state hunters that don't want antler restrictions.  I have heard rumblings that the tree-huggers that bring lawsuits are pro- QDMA.....huh?  QDMA means small deer are spared and less tags filled means less deer shot.  License sales are dropping in NY......being inclusive to the majority "will of the people" is in the DEC's best interest.  Personally, I have hunted other states....I will take more opportunity over quality anytime.  More state land, more deer, more tags means more opportunity.  I have never had a problem seeing deer in NY woods.....trophys are another story.  Rack size is approx. 90% genetic......can't do anything about that.  If you want to see bigger/older deer then reach out to neighboring land owners and try to come to an gentleman's agreement to let the young ones walk.

In ohio do you hang tree stands or climb in one already set up?  1000 acres with restricted access, sure should grow trophys! How bout ya ll rent a bus and I ll stay and hunt your propertys. lol  Only if their up by the lake that is!