I need a clamp-on downrigger mount for a utility boat

I am putting a manual Penn rigger on my 16ft utility boat this spring and I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with the clamp-on mounts for downriggers. I will be using a 10lb rigger weight with the Penn, and a swivel base.

I know that Scotty and Cannon both make a mount, and they seem like they are pretty equal in quality (judging by pics on the internet). The boat has a tiller steer motor, so I can't mount a board across the boat. I also can't mount a rigger in the oar holes because they are positioned too close to the back bench seat. Using a clamp-on mount will give me some flexibility. The Scotty has 2 knobs for tightening the mount to the boat and the Cannon has one knob. That makes me think the Scotty will be more sturdy.

Any opinions or ideas?

Thanks for the info. Its pretty similar to how I was planning to use a clamp-on mount, by using wood between the mount and the boat, in hopes of providing more support by spreading out the load bearing surface across the aluminum hull.

Still looking at other options, but I like your idea.

If you have a pic of the inside of your particular boat looking toward the transom it could be helpful in making suggestions. Also will the holes line up using either the Scotty or Cannon clamp  since they aren't specifically made for the Penn?

Edited by Sk8man

I might have to use an aluminum plate between the rigger mount and the rigger base. The Scotty appears to have a more adjustable rectangular bolt pattern because of the slots in the clamp-on mount.

Here are a few pictures that show how the rear of the boat is laid out

post-142578-0-33284500-1455891440_thumb.jpgpost-142578-0-93540900-1455891449_thumb.jpgpost-142578-0-85743400-1455891465_thumb.jpg

Edited by Todd in NY

What about replacing the seat braces in the last bench seat with a sturdy aluminum or stainless "L" shaped (wide at the top to fit the downrigger mounting plate) angle bracket on each side and then just bolting or clamping the downrigger to it as well as bolting to the side of the boat?

Edited by Sk8man

What about replacing the seat braces in the last bench seat with a sturdy aluminum or stainless "L" shaped (wide at the top to fit the downrigger mounting plate) angle bracket on each side and then just bolting the downrigger to it as well as bolting to the side of the boat?

That would work, too. We have a good metal fabrication place locally that could cut and bend the L bracket to my specs.

I used some angle iron to create brackets that i bolted to the inside flush with the top of the rail.  I than bolted a 2x6 on top of that and did a counter sink on the bolts.  it made for a nice flat gunnel that is solid as a rock.  we have been able to lift the boat up with boards to reposition on the trailer.  in the side pic you can see the bolts coming through the rail (it had an overhang on the outside).  there are more bolts on the inside through the brackets.  put a coat of varnish or waterproofer on the boards and they will last.  I have a board across the back for the riggers but without that I could have mounted them the side just as easy. I had a blast customizing my little boat over the years. post-144635-0-12756300-1455930030_thumb.jpgpost-144635-0-90815900-1455930136_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for the ideas. I have 2 of the Penn manual riggers for my boat but I want to rig one and use it before I rig the 2nd one, just in case I don't like the first method.

Ifishy, your boat is modified way beyond what Starcraft ever envisioned. She looks like a serious multi-species rig!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1455976092.146980.jpg

I didn't have time to dig it out last night but I found a pic of it. Let me know if it's what your looking for.

That looks like the one I was considering. I'll take it off your hands for $20. If I don't have a business trip out your way in the next month or 2 I will pay for shipping.