Does anyone still use J Plugs?

I haven't fished with J Plugs since the early 1980's, and back then we caught browns, coho's and kings with them in lower Lake Michigan. They were the go-to lure back in those days. Are they still effective, and how should they be fished? What colors and sizes are best for eastern Lake Ontario?

They can be good late season when aggression strikes seem to play a larger role than feeding responses. The Silver  one with a red nose has been a good choice.

saw a lot of people using them in september and heard them on the radio saying they caught fish on the green glow black ladder jplug.  

even saw a few broken off ones float by the boat.  ran a few of them: chrome/bloody nose and green glow but no hits for us.

Thanks for the feedback. It seems like flasher/fly combos and spoons are the most widely used lures on Lake O, but I had a hard time believing that something that worked so well in the early 80's wouldn't still catch fish. But like many of you mentioned, conditions have to match the lure, and vice versa.

What trolling speeds are they best at?

These colors and sizes work year round the #3 in glow and ladder,the fire tiger and the #4 glow ladder back, when nothing else is working why not think out of the boxpost-150331-0-64470200-1455904400_thumb.jpeg

Jesus please help me now there down side up UUGGG been one of those days

Edited by pap

These colors and sizes work year round the #3 in glow and ladder,the fire tiger and the #4 glow ladder back, when nothing else is working why not think out of the box!!

attachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpegattachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I can't see your pics, Pap.

Thanks, now I see it. I'm a firm believer in thinking outside the box!

Edited by Todd in NY

I'll check out the Lymans as well, thanks. Silver Horde offers many more color options than the others, with 2 different nose shapes (like their Ace Hi, for faster trolling speeds). I plan on adding some to my tackle box before fishing season, I just haven't settled on which ones yet.

I appreciate all the feedback!

Todd those green ladder backs also glow so in early mornings I have caught Browns, Crome, and kings, with that red/gold tiger striped one I caught pike and all the others above, but who ever would of thought a pike!!!, all those lures are from 1988 my uncle did a job for a elderly lady and her husband used to fish LakeO. The #3 plugs really work better than the #4's but I have lures in that bag they no longer make, so I'm curious to see how they work nowadays!!!

I know there are several brands that are similar... is there a brand that anyone favors for any reason?

Todd, J-Plugs still produce but a newer one on the scene that has been a good producer for us is the Captains Choice plug from Dreamweaver. Updated colors available that are relevant to the Great Lakes and the finish stays on. Our longest King last season, a 43" Salmon came on a Captains Choice plug.

Todd, J-Plugs still produce but a newer one on the scene that has been a good producer for us is the Captains Choice plug from Dreamweaver. Updated colors available that are relevant to the Great Lakes and the finish stays on. Our longest King last season, a 43" Salmon came on a Captains Choice plug.

Thanks for the info. I remember seeing them on a web site that sells 2 other brands of plugs but you are the first person that has mentioned using them.

Todd those green ladder backs also glow so in early mornings I have caught Browns, Crome, and kings, with that red/gold tiger striped one I caught pike and all the others above, but who ever would of thought a pike!!!, all those lures are from 1988 my uncle did a job for a elderly lady and her husband used to fish LakeO. The #3 plugs really work better than the #4's but I have lures in that bag they no longer make, so I'm curious to see how they work nowadays!!!

I've been looking at some new J Plugs and also some "vintage" new ones that they don't make any more. It's been fun looking through pictures of the old lure colors to see how things have evolved in regard to color options.