Does anyone still use J Plugs?

We actually got a couple of Walleye in the Genny on them about 4 or 5 years ago in the fall. Little 15" to 16" Walleye inhaling a J5. I couldn't believe they got their mouths around it no less inhaled the whole thing.

I never really understood why the top of the jplug is what is painted funky colors and the bottom is plain.  I thought most fish look up and swim up to eat something and not the other way around.

Maybe they can't resist the rattle, no matter which direction they have to look :)

How deep do J Plugs run on a flatline or behind a board?

They don't dive well, what can tell just pitching out there maybe 4-10ft that's about 20ft behind the boat.

They don't dive well, what can tell just pitching out there maybe 4-10ft that's about 20ft behind the boat.

Thanks Pap, I don't want to snag the bottom if I drag one behind a board. They have a pretty deep scoop on the nose. It would also be good to know how much deeper it is running behind a rigger ball so its not running under the intended depth.

Todd, lots of guys just flat line them in the Black River which is up and down in in depth but if you know the river you can stay in 12-15+feet of water from the first island up to the riffles just beyond the weeping willow tree. I ran them off the riggers down 7-10ft and didn't get hung up, they are very buoyant lures. I can't honestly say how far below the ball, I would be will to say not much. Maybe more seasoned anglers that ran them could help out.

Thanks Pap & Firechief.

I haven't launched in Dexter since 2005, and I've only launched there 6-8 times. I remember how tricky it can be to find the river channel, especially down by the ruins just past the last island where it is over 30ft deep.