Dipsy wire and Rod setup

I'm setting up my first two dipsy rods, bought 2 used okuma roller eye rods 10 ft MH 2 okuma magda pro 30 reels and two spools Blood Run 30 lb stainless wire 1000 yrds I'm looking for help on what kind of backing, how to attach backing to wire, basicly how to set up the whole thing including dipsy any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks

No need for backing. Put a few wraps of electrical tape on the spool so your wire doesn't slip, and reel the wire onto the spool under tension. Okuma 30 series hold 1000 ft of wire perfectly. It can be a good idea once your out on the water to let out several hundred feet of wire on an un tripped dipsy then reel it back in to ensure a tight fill. There are videos on youtube of how to do this as well. 

Like Rippen Line says you don't need backing but if you do I would use use 50lb braid as backing and use the Albright Knot to attach wire to braid. When you attach the wire to the dipsey tie an overhand knot in the wire making a loop. Use a good quality swivel and run the end of the wire loop through the swivel eye, run the loop down and around the entire swivel thus now looping around the eye and pull tight. Attach your dipsey to the swivel and proceed to catch fish.

Edited by Firechief48

Just a small suggestion regarding the braid backing etc.- You may wish to secure the braid on the spool  with tape or something as it has a tendency to slip on the spool (can give the appearance of the drag being inoperable). I usually use a short section of mono instead of braid  as with 1,000ft of wire the backing is just to prevent the wire from binding on the spool and to keep the wire "nested" so you don't need much as it won't come into play as it would with say copper or leadcores where the backing is being used. When you start out to put the backing/wire on the spool make sure the level wind mechanism is centered on the spool and it will help keep the wire from running diagonally over itself.

I don't use backing, however when I tie the wire on to the spool I run a strip of the Straping tape.  ( the one with the nylon filiments ) length wise of the spool.  Over the wire The wire would have to cut all those strips to slip on the spool.

I'm setting up my first two dipsy rods, bought 2 used okuma roller eye rods 10 ft MH 2 okuma magda pro 30 reels and two spools Blood Run 30 lb stainless wire 1000 yrds I'm looking for help on what kind of backing, how to attach backing to wire, basicly how to set up the whole thing including dipsy any help greatly appreciated.  Thanks

You definitely need backing. Okuma 30 series reels hold more line then 1000' of wire will fill. It is very important to spool your wire reels to full capacity to help insure that the counters are accurate.

Heres some instructions...

-put a wrap of electrical tape around reel spool (helps prevent line from slipping on spool)

-attach backer to spool with an arbor knot

-spool on 250' of 30# mono (really anything will work Braid or mono)

-attach backing to wire using an albright knot

-spool on 1000' of ss wire (make sure the wire goes on tight)

-attach large swivel to business end with a loop knot

I agree with Legacy. My Okuma Convector 30D holds more than 1000 ft of wire, and the line counter will be off if the wire isn't close to the top of the spool.  I think I got like 100ft of 30 # braid on it. I wouldn't use anything that is too cushiony as the backing. If it stretches or it digs deeper, then it throws the wire off the line guide and being out of sink reeks havoc, including wire tangles which are not fun when a fish hits. 

One thing for sure, when you are out there, it is wise to take a popped open dipsey with nothing on it, put it on the end of the wire, and release as much as possible, one rod at a time, then reel everthing back in. It helps get the wire on right, tight and takes care of line twist.

Great tips for getting your reel set up by all.

As far as setting up to run your dipsy...

Attach your dipsy to the wire and on the business end, use a snubber on the dipsy to attach your leader to. This will allow for a little stretch during a strike.

*Make sure the length of your leader to lure, fly, etc (hook) is no longer than your rod* (So 10 ft). When you bring in a fish the dipsy will stop at the rod tip. In order to net the fish you can back up and raise your rod.

No need for backing. Put a few wraps of electrical tape on the spool so your wire doesn't slip, and reel the wire onto the spool under tension. Okuma 30 series hold 1000 ft of wire perfectly. It can be a good idea once your out on the water to let out several hundred feet of wire on an un tripped dipsy then reel it back in to ensure a tight fill. There are videos on youtube of how to do this as well. 

Yup no backing on my same setup except no roller guides on mine.

We don't use snubbers. Haven't lost a fish due to break off, except when their teeth have cut the line at the fly.

What are you using for leader material? And did you get away from them for a certain reason or just never used them? Edited by greenboatluke

We use 40# fluoro leader, Seagar.

I theorized that they could actually impair quality of hook up, as they soften the strike. Also if the dipsey wasn't released properly, the snubber would wrap around it and then you couldn't get it to pop.

In the end I just thought I was overthinking it, and making it far to complicated, so I ditched them. I didn't see any more snaps/break offs than when I had the snubber, and although I can't prove it, I do think I get better hook up rates (better landing rate).

Yup no backing on my same setup except no roller guides on mine.

No backing here either and my set ups dead nuts. If I'm off by 10', I could care less. I pretty much know exactly where my divers are. That's what matters most. Many years of bumping bottom.lol.

No harm in putting backing on either, whatever floats your boat.

We use 40# fluoro leader, Seagar.

I theorized that they could actually impair quality of hook up, as they soften the strike. Also if the dipsey wasn't released properly, the snubber would wrap around it and then you couldn't get it to pop.

In the end I just thought I was overthinking it, and making it far to complicated, so I ditched them. I didn't see any more snaps/break offs than when I had the snubber, and although I can't prove it, I do think I get better hook up rates (better landing rate).

Thanks. Great info and very good point. Got me thinking! Edited by greenboatluke

What are you using for leader material? And did you get away from them for a certain reason or just never used them?

I use 30# maxima chameleon leader. The stretch of the mono acts like a snubber. But I also keep my drag loose so when a fish hits, there's give. It annoys some guys on my boat because it will click every so often with the surge in waves but it works.

I use 30# maxima chameleon leader. The stretch of the mono acts like a snubber. But I also keep my drag loose so when a fish hits, there's give. It annoys some guys on my boat because it will click every so often with the surge in waves but it works.

Same here - no snubber. Set drags loose so they click on a turn or big wave. I use 30lb Trilene Big Game mono. Never had a problem. Been running them this way for years

Well... tyee, fox, slammin, time, bazooka, legacy, dave, sk8, rippin, chief, troller (and any others I may have forgot!!!) Lmao! You've stopped me from thinking about it! Lol! Makes sense! Love this site and all the guys and gals on it! Thanks for all the advice! Bearcreek and others (including myself) are getting great intel!!!

Edited by greenboatluke

I run my divers no snubbers with a drag just tight enough to keep the reel from creeping out but loose enough that a fish takes line on the strike. On days when the waves start to make them creep I loop a rubber band on the wire to the reel handle. This stops the creeping but breaks as soon as a fish hits.

Edited by Firechief48