Reel for 10 color leadcore

Chas0218

I bought a package of 10 color 27# leadcore for cheap this off season and need a reel for it. I'm looking to split the line at the 5 color mark to have as a multi depth setup (run 5 or 10 colors). I was thinking an okuma convector 45 but wasn't entirely sure it would hold enough backing and the 10 colors. I saw the post about volume of backing and copper and leadcore and I think I'm more confused than I was before.

So I have 2 questions:

What size (lbs.) braid should I use at my splice and as backing?

What size reel should I get for the full 10 colors?

Okuma 45 series is what you are looking for. If you have the money than an Okuma Clarion 453 is top choice. Great drag and 6 to 1 ratio is a big help.

As for backing, I always use Blood Run braid. It has been developed specifically for use as backing. 65# test break strength but has the same diameter as typical 30# braid. It is also metered so it changes colors every 100 and its marked every 50.

I hate my convectors - Im in the process of getting the drags rebuilt and then they are going to get sold.  The problem with mine is when I adjust the drag a lot since we fish in pretty bumpy conditions.  With brand new convectors I always had to crank the reel 2 revolutions to get the drag to reset at the new position (not sure if that is normal but they were brand new reels).  

I personally run Daiwa Seagate Levelwind - the newer black and anodized orange ones.  They are pricey, but more than worth it.  I've had a single 10 color take up to 12 fish in one trip.  You'll appreciate the 6 to 1 ratio and rock steady drag when you are out of crew members that have an arm left at the end of the day.

I hate my convectors - Im in the process of getting the drags rebuilt and then they are going to get sold. The problem with mine is when I adjust the drag a lot since we fish in pretty bumpy conditions. With brand new convectors I always had to crank the reel 2 revolutions to get the drag to reset at the new position (not sure if that is normal but they were brand new reels).

The convectors just went to that drag system a couple of years ago. When I bought a couple of these new ones I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them.

The convectors just went to that drag system a couple of years ago. When I bought a couple of these new ones I couldn't figure out what was wrong with them.

So the point of the stupid drag system is what.....?

Diawa are nice but they are twice the price of the okumas or penn. My father has some old penns I should see what they are maybe he will just give them to me. He used to use them as downrigger rods and reels fishing lakers back in the early 90s. I believe one has a red body and stainless inners (no linecounters). Does that ring a bell to anyone?

The new Seagates are awesome. I have 2 50's and 2 60's that have been flawless and taken a lot of fish. Gotta love the smooth Daiwa Drags. Nothing else compares. Had convectors... didn't last a month on my boat. Sold em all and got better equipment. You get what you pay for.

Diawa are nice but they are twice the price of the okumas or penn. My father has some old penns I should see what they are maybe he will just give them to me. He used to use them as downrigger rods and reels fishing lakers back in the early 90s. I believe one has a red body and stainless inners (no linecounters). Does that ring a bell to anyone?

What it comes down to is you get what you pay for! Everyone cant afford the best, and we all settle at times. However, we all spend more $$$$ in the long run fixing those mistakes when we settled on inferior products. Daiwa and Shimano have been in the game a long time with pretty solid equipment. Okuma is fairly new to the Great Lakes in comparison, and they have had a VERY bumpy go at it. I can name a few line ups from Okuma that had bad go arounds in the last 5-7 years.

True Yankee. I wish I had just saved my money and bought the right stuff in the first place. I've replaced all my stuff 3 times now, and finally am at what I think works. All Shimano Talora rods.

I have to say though, my Convector reels haven't given me any hastles. I have heard rumors that they recently changed some steel parts to plastic - I hope not. They were good value for money. Not as good as the Tekotas but good enough to do the job.

You can get the blue Daiwa sealine 57 on sale for $109 through cabelas around Father's Day. (They did it for Christmas too) Usually with free shipping too. I bought 2 last year and 2 the year before. They are the same reel as a seagate but with a line counter. Fast retrieve and tournament drag. I would back it with 30 lbs power pro.

Okuma 45 series is what you are looking for. If you have the money than an Okuma Clarion 453 is top choice. Great drag and 6 to 1 ratio is a big help.

As for backing, I always use Blood Run braid. It has been developed specifically for use as backing. 65# test break strength but has the same diameter as typical 30# braid. It is also metered so it changes colors every 100 and its marked every 50.

I got a 453 kicking around.

Any idea how much 50 lb typical braid backing I need to fill it with 10 colors of regular 27lb lead core?

Any idea how much 50 lb typical braid backing I need to fill it with 10 colors of regular 27lb lead core?

I wish I did but I am not exactly sure

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Chas, I'm guessing your Dad's old Penn is a Senator? I love older American made Penn reels. Although I hear the newer Chinese made Penn's internal parts are all stainless and that's a plus. Unfortunately, I also read that those stainless parts aren't machined as precisely as the older brass ones made here. With that said, I think the reel companies don't want to make a product that will last anymore. They want us buying new ones every couple of years, IMO. I want some Daiwa's now.

I think these reels are beautiful (albeit slow)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12529.0

If I may intercede here...

27 lb lead core is same diameter as 45 lb copper. (.033).. 400 would be really tight backing with 50lb. ..350 would be safe with a 30 ft leader.

But I caution on the reel capacity specs. Factory and vendors state 30 # Mono capacity at 330 yards. The packing box states 290 yards.

I used the 290 yard packing box spec for the calculation.

I have a few Penn Senator 113 and 114 reels. They are big and strong. They do not have line counters which is fine for leadcore, but they are not level wind reels. You will have to guide the line with your thumb.The reels are quite big and you should count on putting a lot of backing on them.

Edited by rolmops