Penn 209 LC opinions

Chas0218

I use them for 1 or 1.5 colors out the back when trolling shoreline and I have one for a dedicated wire reel for bottom bouncing with a heavy 2 lb weight for Lakers.  I don't have much use for a 2:1 gear ratio otherwise.

The Magda 45DX's aren't bad for that purpose. As mentioned the Penn 209's and 309's aren't any speed demons and the drags on the 209's have always been a little sketchy for me but their higher end salt water reels and the GTI's aren't bad if you also get them with power handles especially. I have a 310GTI and a 320 GTI and they are good all around reels. The problem of the level wind on the 209 and 309"s can be solved by opening up the opening in the level wind mechanism (CAREFULLY) with something like a screwdriver so that swivels etc. fit through.

Edited by Sk8man

Ok thanks guys, I wasn't sure. Penn used to build only quality and highly desired reels. I was looking for a line counter reel that is compareable price and quality wise to the magda pro 30's. I really like the magda reels and have put up with a good amount of abuse on my boat. I have done drags in a couple and keep them lubed they still keep going. Once they start to fail I'll replace with convectors most likely.

I have been an Okuma guy after dealing with their customer srevice. I bought a few broke reels and went to order parts and the service tech sent all the parts I needed free of charge including shipping. I told him I bought them used and he said that's fine don't worry about it the parts will be there in 2 days. Good luck with my new to me reels. I can't argue with that kind of customer service.

Ok thanks guys, I wasn't sure. Penn used to build only quality and highly desired reels. I was looking for a line counter reel that is compareable price and quality wise to the magda pro 30's. I really like the magda reels and have put up with a good amount of abuse on my boat. I have done drags in a couple and keep them lubed they still keep going. Once they start to fail I'll replace with convectors most likely.

I have been an Okuma guy after dealing with their customer srevice. I bought a few broke reels and went to order parts and the service tech sent all the parts I needed free of charge including shipping. I told him I bought them used and he said that's fine don't worry about it the parts will be there in 2 days. Good luck with my new to me reels. I can't argue with that kind of customer service.

I too have had good luck with Okuma customer service.  I love my Convectors, and would suggest that you upgrade to them once your Magda's go south, if you are already an Okuma guy, for sure.  Totally agree with you on the Magdas too, can't beat them for the price.  209 is a fraction of the reel a Magda is, in my opinion. Good luck. :)

It's really worth it to spend the money and upgrade to the Convectors if you are able to do that. A big improvement over the Magda line. I bought mine over time until I had what I needed. 20s and 30s.

You are correct, but most of their reels are now made in China and have been for the last few years. I don't believe they make the GTi anymore which was also made here in the USA, but they still make either a GT2 or GTO model and it's also made in China. The quality has really gone downhill and that's a shame. I think the only models made in the USA now are their International series but I'm not totally sure though.