16 footer on big water

Bait Bucket

So here is what I have and want to do. I have a 2014 Crestliner Fish Hawk, 1600sc. Those familiar with them, know they are a large boat for a 16. It has an 87" beam. I use it on Oneida and it handles it without issue. My thought this spring was to (weather/waves permitting) take it out of Sodus Point and hug the shore for some spring browns. Any thoughts????

Get yourself a good map of the shoreline and keep an eye out for bars and obstructions.  Even small boats don't like rocks.  I'd suggest you get a set of planner boards and stay in 10 FOW min until you know the areas.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Get yourself a good map of the shoreline and keep an eye out for bars and obstructions.  Even small boats don't like rocks.  I'd suggest you get a set of planner boards and stay in 10 FOW min until you know the areas.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

What other good maps are out there other than Fishing Hot Spots from OmniMaps?

Try looking over these.  Just remember that there were made at a certain water level so you have to add a little for hi water & subtract a little when the water is low.  Also remember that sandbars have a nasty habit of moving.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/14814.shtml

Tom B.

(LongLine)

small boat spring fishing can be a ton of fun especially if you hit a double or triple.  I did it for years with the 14 footer.  another good place to study a chart is the navionics web app you can get 1 foot contours so you can get a feel for where on the shoreline you can expect to have to turn out from shore.  

http://webapp.navionics.com/#@6&key=o%7DfoGzqklM

The nice thing about Sodus is that in the Spring if it gets too rough you can go to Plan B which is fishing in the Bay itself as the browns do go in there as well as other species and it is much more sheltered from many wind directions compared with the lake. The boulders have already been mentioned about near shore out in the lake but in the Bay there are some things to watch out for as well. The area just to your left when coming in the channel and heading toward Conleys Cove to the east has large boulders just under the surface in some places which can take out a prop as well as extremely shallow water in spots. On the east side right along shore area number of pilings and concrete remnants of previous docks (e.g. west side of Newark Island) which can be barely submerged depending on water levels so run boards there in while staying out a bit.

Edited by Sk8man

I'd suggest you get a set of planner boards and stay in 10 FOW min until you know the areas.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thought about inlines. I was looking at and thinking about Church Tackle Walleye Planer Boards. Did some looking around and I found some good info on these. For the most part on others, it sounds like Chevy, Ford or Dodge, but I'm sure they all do the job. Gander Mount has them on sale for 27.99 + free ship.

i fished with a 16 ft side counsel for years, just don't be stupid and you will be fine. Check forecast and use the hourly feature to check wind. I have been in the middle of erie and Ontario with it. Mine was a 1600 angler and it was a awesome stable ride.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

MR BIG, I fished up ther for ten years out my 16 ft. I would make the run from chamount to black river if I had to every yers to find the fish. I was in my 20's  tho.  I still do it out my 17 now but not as often, over the years I have found more spots at those locations. You can always find a calm shore in the golden cresent.