16 footer on big water

Bait Bucket

Just stay in sight of the shoreline and no issues what so ever. just dont go out when its real windy or rough. thats just common sence.

We are staying at Henchens marina because they were the only place that would allow me to bring my dog. How far of a run is it from Henchens to black river?

That's about an 8 mile ride by boat. Stay in the harbor until you need to cut out towards black river if it is rough. If there are SW winds don't even consider coming out of the Henderson harbor. I have been out in front of the harbor in SW 20mph-30mph talk about a wild ride! I think they were 8'-10' lets just say I could see land then it would disappear for a moment then back again all in a following sea. 

If restricted to just the bay because of the weather what would you recommend I fish for? I understand there is good pickerel and pike fishing around hoveys island. What about walleye? Can I expect to catch any trolling in the bay? Also since I only have a 17' boat I can trailer it and drive up to Chaumont bay or Sackets harbor and launch there. What do you think?

Going back to the original topic of spring fishing for browns or walleyes a lot of people have mentioned paper maps.  More important is a fishfinder with GPS and a map chip.  For trolling applications, boat speed, marking waypoints, and depth are critical.  If you have some decent rod holders and inline planers you will have no issue fishing right now close to shore with a south wind.

Even a 10 year old fishfinder with GPS maps will fit the bill.  If you don't have one then it should be a priority.

Going back to the original topic of spring fishing for browns or walleyes a lot of people have mentioned paper maps.  More important is a fishfinder with GPS and a map chip.  For trolling applications, boat speed, marking waypoints, and depth are critical.  If you have some decent rod holders and inline planers you will have no issue fishing right now close to shore with a south wind.

Even a 10 year old fishfinder with GPS maps will fit the bill.  If you don't have one then it should be a priority.