Lake trout from shore

Anyone have some input or areas to try on the fingers, keuka Seneca and Cayuga are all close enough to make a trip after work any pointers or tips would be great, I will probably be taking a fly rod with a sink tip and spinning gear as well.

Thanks

I also will be bring chest waders if that helps any.

I have been doing pretty well casting Little Cleo spoons from shore. You don't need to get your bait out deep, plenty of fish in 10 -40 FOW. I don't think location matters that much, fish seem to be spread out. Have been mostly fishing the south end of Cayuga. My buddy got the first nice brown I have seen this season. Right around sunset the fish was making a ruckus about 40 ft from shore, cast to the swirls, and Fish On!

Good luck to you!

-SS

As far as Keuka goes right off the breakwall at the launch ramp at Branchport is always a possibility using either the cleos or other similar casting spoons as well as things shaped like Daredevle spoons....anything that is kinda "floppy" in the water at slow retrieval rates.  Possibly the pier at Watkins using the same and any places where there is a drop off nearby along the shoreline. Too much pressure and lack of results to recommend Sampson.  Taugannock  is nice because you can cast into deep water from shore in a variety of spots for lakers and occasionally catch a brown or landlock.  Also if you can get some egg sacks (used with barrel sinker and  on bottom) they work pretty well there too.

I used to use slip sinkers with bass or pike minnows but since the coming of zebra mussels I found I got a lot of cut offs from the sharp mussel shells.

now I use slip bobbers with my bait about 12-18 below the float. you'll want to make sure your bail is left open or set your drag light.