Taxidermist review

It's been since Feb 2015 that anyone has posted any taxidermist recommendations so I thought I would share my recent experience. A few years back I caught a nice Atlantic in Lake George and decided to get a skin mount. Not too many fish taxidermists over this way so I decided to go with a derm in Pulaski. Very disappointed with the results. My LG Atlantic looked like a Sept King from Ontario. After reading reviews on this forum I decided to have Richard Benedict Jr of Angling Artisans re-make prized salmon. I could not be happier with the results. A true artist, reasonably priced. Pure quality, you will not be disappointed, check the website. The links below are before and after pics. Top = before.

11vjvc6.jpg

rm8ifn.jpg

Just giving him some input on a taxidermist in the capital region because there are very few that are good around here (especially on trout and salmon) and was happy with the job on this particular fish. The gold on the fishes belly is a little much but much less vibrant on a darker back drop.

Edited by PeltHunter

PeltHunter, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (said somebody).  If you like your mount that is what is most important.  My brother had a 12lb brown trout replica made from pictures that his son caught at 5 years old.  The fish looks awesome and life like from across the room but as soon as you walk right up to it, it starts to look fake (to me).  His family loves it and reminds them of that day.  A story of a 5yr old pulling in a 12lb brown on Keuka lake with no help.  Absolutely a fish of a lifetime and should be remembered as such.

It is not an option for me but if it were, I would not use your taxidermist.  I like the way the second Atlantic pic looks at the top.  Each scale with definition and resolution.  I also like the fins to be translucent.  I bought a 15in replica Crappie for decor and sometimes it annoys me because of the air brushing.  I am not trolling, just pointing out the things I noticed most.  I do not have the skill so I feel guilty passing judgement.  Anybody who can make a fish come to life eternally should be revered as an artist.  As in any business not all are created equal and customers preferences can vary.

Eat your Popcorn...

I like it.  The 3rd thumbnail is my favorite.  It looks like it is ready to swim off the couch.   I am curious about the wounded area of the fish.  So the lamprey mark reminds me of the special effects art for a Halloween gunshot.  Does this entail a lot of (extra) effort from the taxidermist?

I like it. The 3rd thumbnail is my favorite. It looks like it is ready to swim off the couch. I am curious about the wounded area of the fish. So the lamprey mark reminds me of the special effects art for a Halloween gunshot. Does this entail a lot of (extra) effort from the taxidermist?

Lamprey scars are fun to

Paint. Each one is unique and can take from a few

Minutes to a few hours to recreate properly.

Thanks BS...the lamprey wound wasn't as challenging as I thought it would be, but this is a replica, might be a different story on a skin mount.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pelt Hunter that's a really nice brown! Thanks for the info on your derm but I am sold on Anglg. Artsns. Salmodan wanted to know who did my original mount. I am not going to identify that person as it is not my intention to bash anyone. I had seen work done by this person, excluding Atlantics and they were very nice. I failed to perform my due diligence in regard to Atlantic mounts and well the rest is history.

Who did the original Atlantic mount?

I don't know if you're from the Lake George area but Joe Mirra in Saratoga does a real good job. Did this skin mount Oak Orchard brown a few years back for me. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1456703672.420810.jpg

Pelt Hunter that's a really nice brown! Thanks for the info on your derm but I am sold on Anglg. Artsns. Salmodan wanted to know who did my original mount. I am not going to identify that person as it is not my intention to bash anyone. I had seen work done by this person, excluding Atlantics and they were very nice. I failed to perform my due diligence in regard to Atlantic mounts and well the rest is history.

Where are they from? My family had 2 other fish done and if that brown is bad (which it may be but comparably its about 1000x better than the other two maybe that's what made me think it was that good lol) I'll get some pictures of these. Maybe it's worth it to head out towards the lake to have fish like this done. I'm not really big into fish mounts but may need to know them if a big Steelie or a LOC King comes along.