copper length?

this is just my opinion i'm sure people will disagree. i fish to relax and have fun and fishing with long coppers(longer then 400)is not fun to me.if i need more depth out of a 400 then i use a 4 ounce dive bomb that adds another 15 to 20 feet of depth. close to the same of a 500

Something I haven't seen mentioned on here is if you need to run a shorter copper or leadcore deep use it on a rigger (e.g. extended boom out to the side). Just keep other riggers short and above it.

Edited by Sk8man

Something I haven't seen mentioned on here is if you need to run a shorter copper or leadcore deep use it on a rigger (e.g. extended boom out to the side). Just keep other riggers short and above it.

That's a seldom discussed topic sk8man. I've had days where cores off of riggers were the trick. Not always, but when things get tough, that setup is going down.

That's about what I do also, the out down riggers often get stacker releases put on the cable 20 feet up from the ball. I have 100 foot coppers specifically for that presentation. The setup is braid base backing with heavy mono fill under the copper for shock absorbing and flea reduction.

Helps get a couple more rods in on the riggers and fill the middle distance 100ft. from the boat with a couple more presentations. Some folks don't like to run stackers but it is a great way to put another line in a controlled depth behind the riggers. I run clean spoons on short leads on the ball when doing this.

Would go with a 300'. It's always easier to add weight with a dive bomb or torpedo weight to take you deeper. I have a 200', 300', 400' and a 600' that I just added last year. I have not run the 600 yet, but have reeled in a a friends 700' in a tourney and it wasn't that fun. IF you go bigger make sure you have a reel with a higher gear ratio for quicker line pick up when reeling in. Good luck.