2016 DEC State of the Lake Meeting Schedule Announced

BlueEye

DEC Announces State of Lake Ontario Meetings Biologists to Update Status of Lake's Fisheries

The public will have the opportunity to learn about the State of Lake Ontario fisheries at public meetings held in Monroe, Niagara, and Oswego counties in March, New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Acting Commissioner Basil Seggos announced today. Lake Ontario and its embayments and tributaries support thriving populations of fish, including a variety of trout and salmon, bass, walleye, yellow perch and panfish.

"Lake Ontario and its tributaries provide world-class angling opportunities" Acting Commissioner Seggos said. "Under Governor Cuomo's NY Open for Fishing and Hunting Initiative, Lake Ontario's high-quality fisheries and associated economic benefits are thriving. The State of Lake Ontario meetings provide an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in the lake to interact with the scientists who study its fisheries."

New York's Lake Ontario waters comprise more than 2.7 million acres. A 2007 statewide angler survey estimated more than 2.6 million angler days were spent on Lake Ontario and major tributaries. The estimated value of these fisheries exceeded $112 million annually to the local New York economy.

The meeting dates and locations are as follows:

• Thursday, March 3: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Cornell Cooperative Extension Building, 4487 Lake Avenue, Lockport, Niagara County. The meeting is co-hosted by Niagara County Cooperative Extension and the Niagara County Sportfishery Development Board.

• Tuesday, March 8: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Pulaski High School auditorium, 4624 Salina Street, Pulaski, Oswego County. The meeting is co-hosted by the Eastern Lake Ontario Salmon and Trout Association. In the event of heavy lake-effect snow, the meeting will be held at the same time and location on March 9.

• Monday, March 14: 6:30 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. at the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) campus (Chester F. Carlson Center for Imaging Science building (76-1125) - Carlson Auditorium), Rochester, Monroe County. The meeting is co-hosted by RIT and the Monroe County Fishery Advisory Board.

Staff from DEC, the United States Geological Survey, and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will make a number of presentations, including updates on the status of trout and salmon fisheries, forage fish, and stocking programs. Staff from the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry will also be in attendance. The meetings will provide ample time at the end of the scheduled program for the audience to interact with the presenters.

Information about DEC's Lake Ontario fisheries assessment programs can be found online. For further information contact Steven LaPan, New York Great Lakes Fisheries Section Head at Cape Vincent Fisheries Research Station, (315) 654-2147.

any chance they will stream one of the meetings online for those of us who cant make the trip?  I know government doesn't always keep up with technology

I am heading to State of the lake meeting tomorrow in Lockport. Hope there is a decent turn out. Even Canadians coming over to meeting.

Jerry

Running Rebel

ifishy      With 3 meetings total, I doubt they would stream line any one of them, With subject topics & questions usually being local/area specific.

EXAMPLE: Tomorrow night will have Niagara river Musky info and Oswego meeting will have east end Bass Info.

its a shame the cost of doing such is not that high and it could allow for that many more people to participate.  more interest is always better for the big picture. oh well i'll have to read the highlights if i can find them

I am heading to State of the lake meeting tomorrow in Lockport. Hope there is a decent turn out. Even Canadians coming over to meeting.

Jerry

Running Rebel

ifishy      With 3 meetings total, I doubt they would stream line any one of them, With subject topics & questions usually being local/area specific.

EXAMPLE: Tomorrow night will have Niagara river Musky info and Oswego meeting will have east end Bass Info.

See you at the Roch mtg this year Jerry. Remember, Cafora's doesn't serve past 9pm, LOL.

Good tipp Vince on how NOT to end up with COLD French onion soup..............

See you in Rochester.

PS:  Come by early.... I have not had a WII injury since

Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Great meeting last night.  Good information given.  Out of this meeting and the highlights I have a much better feeling that the DEC have their "eye-on-the-ball".  Much more information on the lakes coming in and being studied.  The tone of the meeting was less of the Atlantic Salmon/Lake Trout programs and more of the status of Kings and alewife.  Issues at Altmar with water supply and quality food pellets seem to be addressed.  Everyone was gracious and took time to meet with people after the meeting.  Most importantly it would appear that they are listening to our concerns and addressing some of the important issue facing lake management. Birds are singing this morning and warm weather is in the forecast....its all good.

The size of the smaller kings was discussed  and along with forage concerns, the water temperature for metabolism was considered as the sixty days extra cold water condition limited fish growth.

Nice turn out at last night's meeting, around 65-75 people. A very accurate presentation was given showing that %90 of the Kings are in %20 of the lake any given time and constantly moving. While the U.S.A. had poor king numbers returning lake wide to US streams & rivers, the Canadian side had great numbers of fish returning(especially in the Ganaraska river) I have witnessed myself the healthy/predictable staging salmon year after year off most every Canadian port when fishing the Canadian tournaments. Biggest concern is we need to see YOY-Young of the Year alewife in 2016. If not , it will be 3 years in a row of VERY low numbers/future recruiting class. That would put us in "Unchartered Waters never seen before on Lake Ontario" Hopefully we will see YOY this spring with the short/mild winter we just had. Alewife stomach survey showed content of lower level normal food chain diet, No Adult alewife feeding on smaller alewife fry. VERY GOOD meeting with plenty of time for questions before-during and after meeting.

I look forward to attending the Rochester meeting also and advise Everyone to try and attend a meeting this year.

Capt. Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

I'm sure we will see a huge difference in the size of the salmon and more young alewifes, due to the warmer winter. All these fish have been eating better than normal this winter. Browns too

Nice turn out at last night's meeting, around 65-75 people. A very accurate presentation was given showing that %90 of the Kings are in %20 of the lake any given time and constantly moving. While the U.S.A. had poor king numbers returning lake wide to US streams & rivers, the Canadian side had great numbers of fish returning(especially in the Ganaraska river) I have witnessed myself the healthy/predictable staging salmon year after year off most every Canadian port when fishing the Canadian tournaments. Biggest concern is we need to see YOY-Young of the Year alewife in 2016. If not , it will be 3 years in a row of VERY low numbers/future recruiting class. That would put us in "Unchartered Waters never seen before on Lake Ontario" Hopefully we will see YOY this spring with the short/mild winter we just had. Alewife stomach survey showed content of lower level normal food chain diet, No Adult alewife feeding on smaller alewife fry. VERY GOOD meeting with plenty of time for questions before-during and after meeting.

I look forward to attending the Rochester meeting also and advise Everyone to try and attend a meeting this year.

Capt. Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL

Jerry is the Ganaraska river closed to trib fishing?

I'm sure we will see a huge difference in the size of the salmon and more young alewifes, due to the warmer winter. All these fish have been eating better than normal this winter. Browns too

Year 4 salmon --- had two years of good growth and two years of cold winters to reduce growth.  Those fish started out with the benefit of the giant 2012 hatch of alewives and subsequent large class of YOY in 2013 to reach a level they could subsist on the large stabile population of adult alewives during the lean years.  Net result will be more fish over 30 pounds but a 35 lber would be a reach.

Year 3 salmon---had a good jump start feeding on the 2013 YOY alewives, but then got wacked by back-to-back bad winters and reduced growing season.  Still plenty of adult alewives around once the salmon got big enough to ingest them.  Net result should be a good class of 3 yr olds in numbers of fish but size will probably be slightly below average because of the smaller growing season.

Year 2 salmon--- will look like large shakers.  No YOY alewives and no real Emerald Shiners to bump them up to the next level of feeding.  IMO we should be culling these fish for table fare because they will never become giants and they are of yummy size.

Did anyone bring up the subject of the new research by the State or Oregon on the results of hatcheries on steelhead, and probably all salmonoids??

No, and they are not currently studying any possible disease process that may have caused the demise of back-to-back year classes of salmon either.  I did give one of the biologists there some places to look for answers but she might think I am a loon. :P

Edited by Gill-T

Brian,

Fishing was closed on the Ganaraska when the Ontario ministries of Natural resources did there egg collections. Tons of fish to choose BUT......their egg eye up was not so good %73 area I believe????? So the US helped them out with our surplus I believe also.

Capt. Jerry

RUNNIN REBEL