How to determine condition of transom wood

geezer

Considering buying a 1985 Starcraft 18' islander. Quite a distance from my home. When I go look how should I inspect the transom. Maybe just pushing something on the wood to feel for sponginess? Is it more likely to rot closest to where the drive goes thru? I don't know now how accessible that area will be.

You can tilt the outboard or I/O drive up a little, then push down on it to see if there's any flex in the transom. Obviously if you see some movement, that's not good. But no movement doesn't necessarily mean the transom is rot free. Best to hire a surveyor.

I would bring a bright flashlight and a pointy knife and crawl into the boat stern. Clear away whatever it is so you can see the inside of the transom. See if you can stick the knife into the wood with ease which is bad or if it is hard which is good and look at the wood to see if there is any visible rot.

As for the outside,try and move the engine back and forth and sideways. If you feel a lot of give,you have a rotten transom.

The 1985 starcraft Islanders are 19 footers, the 18 footers are Holidays. If this one has an outboard it probably is a Holiday

Edited by rolmops

Hi You have been given all the info you need.I will add look at some u tube video and if you still think your not sure buy a moisture meter 250 to 500 good luck

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had the Penn Yan I bought last year, fully surveyed by a reputable Marine Surveryor.  He did a very large number of things to determine sea worthiness and detect rot and moisture.  First is the hull tap all around the boat.  Second is a moisture content reading with a moisture meter.  Third he lifted every cover, and entry way that would lead to the stringers, forward,  a mid ships, and aft.  Pulled cowling aside and looked at engine as it was running in the water and idling.  Checked fluids, out drive operation, trim etc.etc.  Also trim tabs if the boat them.  The Avenger I bought, he said might have been one of the better Penn Yans he ever surveyed.  I think that is due to the fact that the boat wan't in the water except for fishing.  It was towed everywhere to fish by the original and secondary owner.

He used an awl as a spike to test the wood, he used a small longish drill bit to drill into the wood to look at the wood that came out and he used the moisture meter on the stringers etc etc.Pretty much took him 6 hours or so to complete the survery, then he wrote it up in a nice multi page report.  This report answers specific questions as to moisture content above and below the water line.  He also looked at and tested every electronic device on the boat.  

He then will tell you what he thinks the boat is worth, at least he did with the Penn Yan.  Paid about 1600 below what the boat was determined to be worth.  Pid $450 for the survey and worth every penny imho.  So there ya go.  

Edited by longbow