Furuno Fishfinders

Read some comments about the Furuno 620 and 585 ...... maybe some others that the model number doesn't come to mind right now. What is the opinion and/or experience of those out there with the lower dollar models such as the LS4100/6100? I'm looking to replace a humminbird unit and most of the advise so far has directed me to the Lowrance such as the X510C. I only want to do this once (more)! heehee Not sure I need color. At this point I just want a unit that tells the truth. I mainly fish Seneca Lake

New to the board .... if this has been discussed ..... sorry!

Dave

Dave,

If you can swing it, get the the color unit, you will not be dissapointed. The color units show much more detail and they are easier to read, and can be read with polarized glasses on. they are a little more $$$, but well worth it.

Rich

I also have a 585 and it's a fantastic unit. Best fish finder I've ever owned. And Rich D is 100% right...get a color unit. They really do show a LOT more detail and are a lot easier to see, even in bright sunlight.

• 5 weeks later...

Were can I get the best price for the furuno fvc 620? I saw a 585 in use a coulpe of weeks ago and was really impressed, don't really have the room with my layout so I was wondering if the 620 is the same unit just smaller.I know Rich or Bill can point me in the right direction.I would be using the P66 TM just wondering how good it would work as the boat with the 585 had the tru hull trasnducer.

Thanks

Mike,

I have the Trans mount ducer, the only thing I have to do is drop it down a touch, when I am on plane sometimes I lose the reading, my fault when I mounted the ducer. Other than that it is an awesome unit. I would check on line and find the lowest price you can, then call Jim at BOE and he will match it, along with free shipping. I do know the price of the units went up some a couple of months ago. If I see a good price I will send it to you. Good Luck, you will love the unit.

Rich

Dave, I installed the FCV-620 in April after doing the same thing you are now. Got some input from these guys and went with it. It's the same as the 585 except a smaller screen. Like you I have a space issue to consider.

I'm vary satisfied with the unit. Does all I wanted it to do and then some.

I bought it from these guys > http://www.hodgesmarine.com/FURUNO-FCV6 ... fcv620.htm because of recommendations from this board. I made two seperate purchases from them and had the stuff in less than 24 hours with no special handling. Ships from a New Jersey warehouse on DHL, not UPS.

Anyway, here is a pic of it on my boat and have it handshaking with my chartplotter.

aVk77W0.jpg

I'm sure there are a lot of good units out there but you can't go wrong with this. Also to consider is service. Not all manufactures have good service or customer relations. I won't mention any names. Just search this site and you'll get an earfull :shock: .

I needed some info on connecting the gps & FF together. Emailed Furuno noon on a Thursday. Went out of the office and had an answer when I returned at 2:30. Had my units talking to eachother by 7 PM that night. To top it off the tech that helped me emailed me back on Monday to be sure I was OK with his instructions. Does the unit cost a little more? Maybe, but it's worth it.

;)

The end

Mike,

Here you go, it stands for By Owner Electronics.

http://www.byownerelectronics.com/store ... p?cat=2596

Ask for Jim, he will answer all your questions you have. He has donated a handheld VHF radio for us to give away for the Little Salmon River Challenge.

I would do a search online and find the cheapest price, then call him. Good Luck.

Rich

Thanks Rich,

I will give them a try. I will be fishing the 26th at the Little Salmon River Challenge so maybe I will see you there. What's your boats handle? I will be with a guy I fish with on his buddies boat not sure what his handle is But I will try you with my handle Reel escape.

Mike,

We will most likely be on a friends boat also, it was our team from last year, and we are fishing it together again. I will be at the capt meeting behind the table doing the sign in's. I just recieved a box from Jim with the handheld VHF to be given away, along with 150 phamplets for the store. I look forward to seeing you there. Goo dLuck in the search.

Rich