E-TEC XD50 or XD100 for trolling

On the Hook

I have a 2014 Evinrude E-Tech 115 HP that I currently run XD50 on the TW3 setting. I used XD50 for the last two years because my dealer told me I needed to use it, but now have learned that I can run XD100 on the TW3 setting. My question for other E-Tech owners is do you notice a difference trolling with XD100 vs XD50, mostly with regards to exhaust odor plugs fouling up, or better performance. 

I have twin Etec's and never have I ran the XD50 unless it was an emergency. They are a direct injected motor and the XD100 is specific for those. Pugleys is who installed my motors and he made it sound as if I ran the XD 50 and something happened to the motors it would void my warranties.

Suggest you discuss with your dealer and/or Evinude's "enation" site using XD100 on the XD50 setting. IMO you would see little change as you are still at same fuel oil ratio. I had my ETEC set at delivery on the XD100 program so it has been on that oil for all hours including break in. I have a kicker so my ETEC is just used for running. For my application I've not had any plug issue's or smoking. By having the leaner mixture with XD100 computer setting the lower oil consumption makes up for the higher price of synthetic XD100 to me. Also doesn't bother me that XD100 is the only oil I can run as I usually use factory oils in my outboards anyway. Oil consumption hasn't been any issue for me either.

I also only use the XD-100. I was told that it was the way to go if you ever run your motor in cold weather.  It uses very little oil, so the cost shouldn't be a big factor.