Think I am Going to Try Running Braid

longbow

I think on my divers this year I am going to try running braided line.  What is the breaking strength you guys would recommend.  It will be going on Okuma Magda 30's.  Just tired of the wire thing.  Especially when it frays on the ends.  The other question I have is how full is full on a bail?  Where do you stop winding?  thanks

If you want to run braid in flea infested waters, I recommend using Fireline fused Original 30 lb. Not crystal brand just original. There are some new slick braid composition out like Power pro super 8, might work, I don't know.

On wire fray, if it's ends, cut it off. If mid section you have kinked it someplace and that is a problem that can be avoided with careful handling of tension, or its just old.

Not sure of your reference to a bail is on a conventional reel. Spool maybe?

Its a spool, Magda 30, couldn't remember if you called the spool a spool or bail, but bail is on a spinning reel now that I think of it.  What about running braid and wire together with flouro carbon leader or mono leader?  I'm figuring I could buy a big spool of the braid and 1000' of torpedo or the like.  Just seems like wire is a big pain in my arse especially if it is rough on the lake, cause that it seems is when I tend to get kinks and such.  thanks

The other question I might as well pose is if I were to run braid as a backing and wire on the terminal side how much backing would I need to put on if I wanted split a spool  of the 1000 ft wire on a Okuma Magda 30.  thanks

You could split a 1000 spool of wire and back it with braid, put it on two reels, but you still are dealing with wire. I would run one or the other full spool. Run braid in the brand I suggested and you will get less flea aggravation and no issues with kinking.

Either one, I would spool on 200 feet of 30lb mono base to give the wire or braid cushion and bite on the arbor. You dont want it to slip around the spool.Then 1000 feet wire or braid.

For a wire split, you could get 425 feet 30 lb mono backing on there. Convenient in cost because you can split wire spool of 1000 ft, and split reel fill spool of 300 yards (900 ft) of big game or Ande type mono in 30 lb.

With braid backing of 450 feet 50 lb you would be significantly lower spool but not excessively.

I edited the last paragraph. Meant to say significantly not slightly. Your line counter could go off by a good margin.

Edited by skipper19

Good info. thanks.  How full of a spool do you run?  Right up to the top of the wider part of the spool  or to where it transitions from the narrower part of the spool to the wider part.   You know there is like a step on the spool.  I normally fill right to the top of the spool or nearly so but that seems like it might be to much and is why I have the problems I do with wire.  thanks

Good info. thanks. How full of a spool do you run? Right up to the top of the wider part of the spool or to where it transitions from the narrower part of the spool to the wider part. You know there is like a step on the spool. I normally fill right to the top of the spool or nearly so but that seems like it might be to much and is why I have the problems I do with wire. thanks

Some reels have a full spool line near the outer curve of the spool. If no indication I don't go more than mid of that curve. Maybe about 1/16 to 1/8 inch from the top edge of the spool. Wire can tend to bunch when the line guide alignment is off and then it will bind on frame parts. Which an important first step in spooling should be starting the line guide mid spool with your first wind and ending that way at full spool. That helps, also some reels have side to side end play adjustments for the spool.

The braid works well in clean water but I can not stress enough how bad it is once the fleas show up. It will render your set useless and ruin your day. Always keep at least one wire set on the boat. Just out of curiosity what issues are you having with the wire? Maybe I / We could help fix those problems. I run mostly wire on Ontario and also run it in the ocean for stripers. I run the same setup for years without issue. 

Once a year, if you cut out the "curly" section of wire (1st 8 feet or so) and re-terminate, it keeps the potential for kinks/frays down....

My experience is that it's not that big a PITA to look for an alternative to wire......

For 2016, I'm hoping to run 4 wire divers on Erie for walleyes..... our wires were so successful last year. This may cause other headaches..... I'll let you know.

I put 1000' of wire on my magda 30 without backing and the line counter seems to be plenty accurate. With my braid I put some backing on then 50# power pro. Not sure on the amount of backing it has been 4 years since I put it on (still in use).

Hey Rich, yep Capt. Larry does it like that too I believe.  I'll give that a shot too.  I don't think he has to use snubbers doing that . I think the Kramers use the leader also.  Month and half left to go.  Can't wait.  thanks

for some reason i have always had much better luck using braid. i never had any issues with the fleas clinging onto the line excet maybe once - maybe im just lucky. i have always had way better hook sets too and i never used a shock cord. i ran 20lb braid all the way to the divers and then 20lb fluoro 7 foot section from diver to lure, i have had great success with it and landing 95% of my catch. i really like with braid to that when you wan to reel your diver back in you just yank the rod to trip the divers mechanism and reel it back in meanwhile with mono there is so much stretch the mechanism never wants to trip until i have reeled it in halfway to the boat

Edited by fieromx3