Lowrance transducer

I have a Lowrance touch 12 generation 2 with a sonar hub. Last year I bought a 50 200 HDI transducer. I was recently told that I should have gone with an 83 200 HDI. Bottom line is the HDI allows me to do down imaging. Was wondering is there any opinions on what would be the right transducer for me. I fish Lake Ontario Lake Erie Niagara River. We never fish more than 150 feet down. Even if there's a better transducer that would be great to hear about. Thanks for any help

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The 50/200 is usually thought of as a deep water (primarily salt water) transducer that has supposedly been "optimized" for that use while the 83/200 transducer is a shallower water use transducer (primarily fresh water use). You may get a little better definition in shallower water with the 83/200 (non- CHIRP I'm assuming) transducer. Airmar makes great transducers for particular uses and situations which may relate to your specific boat situation and their techs  could advise you if you have special needs or circumstances (e.g. in hull installation etc.). The Lowrance 83/200 transducer is not a bad choice for the price in my opinion and if it were me I'd probably get one and substitute it for the other and see the results and if you didn't like it i should think it would be a pretty easy resale on here or keep for a "backup" without being out a whole lot of money. If you have an in hull currently or are desiring it I'd look seriously at the Airmars (after speaking with the techs regarding specific model and usage as there are many different options).

Edited by Sk8man

For fishing the depth you refer to I'd think about the 83/200 CHIRP transducer but it could be that you'd see your riggers at 100 plus better with the 50/200 if you are running them deep.