New York’s 2015 Lake Ontario Fisheries Program Highlights

The most mind blowing part of that report is the stats about the smallmouth population.  Here we sit at the lowest levels recorded yet the creel limit is the same as it was when the population was very strong.  Shouldn't the creel limit be dropped to help bring the population back? 

This is what I see...

- The best Chinook salmon fishing quality among charter boats occurred during 2003-2015. Fishing quality in 2015, however, was the lowest estimated during this time period and 26% below the 2003-2015 mean.

- Fishing quality for brown trout was near record high levels in recent years, however, declined in 2015 to the lowest recorded since 2008 and 27% below the long-term average.

- Coho salmon fishing quality was excellent for 5 of the past 10 years, however, in 2015 was 57% below average.

- Following seven consecutive years of record or near record high angling success for rainbow trout, the 2015 catch rate was the lowest level since 2005 and a 39% decrease compared to the long term average.

Bass fishermen keep very few fish.

Tournament bass fishermen keep very few.  But there are a lot of guys that keep smallmouth to eat.  Back in the 90's on Lake Ontario, lots of smallmouth left on stringers every day of the season. 

The only explanation for a 5 bass limit is to keep bass tournaments happy....not that thats a good reason, but its huge business compared to trolling

Agreed but it allows the population to be knocked down even further. Sportfishing or not, something has to be done to bring back the smallmouth fishery. The DEC needs to make changes before it's too late. In the 90's, we used to have a ball smallmouth fishing off of Hedges. Now you can fish everyday in the season and catch fewer than we used to catch in one day!

Lake Ontario isn't really setup for a huge population of smallmouth. It gets too deep too fast and lacks the offshore structure to add to their habitat. I'm not saying that there can't be a healthy population in certain locales, because the Niagara river and the bar area has always been a prime location, as I'm sure your favorite spots on the east end do or did. Just like Erie doesn't really support a healthy population of salmon because it just isn't setup for the needs of that fish.

Lake Ontario isn't really setup for a huge population of smallmouth. It gets too deep too fast and lacks the offshore structure to add to their habitat. I'm not saying that there can't be a healthy population in certain locales, because the Niagara river and the bar area has always been a prime location, as I'm sure your favorite spots on the east end do or did. Just like Erie doesn't really support a healthy population of salmon because it just isn't setup for the needs of that fish.

Though you are right in theory, the fact is that up until 10 years ago we had unbelievable, world class small mouth fishing. I grew up in Sodus, and it used to be that catching 20-40 small mouth in the lake in a single day was normal. I worked for a charter that would take his guys smallie fishing on those June or July transition days, and 100 fish in a day was possible. It was as easy as anchoring in 20-40 fow and dropping a worm.

Maybe if the DEC closed the season during spawning (like it used to be) it might help. If a bass is taken off the nest, even for a short period, it is raided by predators. They must be left alone to protect their nest. This might not be the only reason for the decline, but it could be a contributor. From what I have heard, there is also a decline in many inland lakes. IMO the DEC should eliminate the catch and release between Dec. 1st and third Sat.in June statewide. They created it to stimulate more revenue but it ruins the bass fisheries, how long will it last? Southern lakes might be able to handle it but maybe it isn't such a good idea up north.

The bass creel should not be five period.  With the population this low, it does not make sense to allow man to keep five when other predators are knocking them down even lower.  Protect what we have today or we will have nothing tomorrow.