Cast iron Downrigger weight

Given the proper shape,cast iron would not have much more blow back, even if it is bigger. A lot of the blow back is created by the downrigger wire.

I don't think that anybody really did any in depth research on downrigger hydro dynamics.

Heck,wouldn't you love a self propelled downrigger weight?

While I do agree with your theory for the sake of this question we are only referring to finned balls. And with one having almost double the physical mass of the other to attain the same weight it would most certainly affect its performance. Self propelled would be funny until somehow it went haywire and there was literally a 16 lb torpedo cruising the lake uncontrollably!!

• 1 month later...

The iron ones are safer to chew on! ;)

I think that is what is is about.....products that contain lead are and have been under government scrutiny for a long time  as possible carcinogens as well as regarding lead poisoning and probably  companies are worried about either potential litigation or maybe some tax applied to the stuff (either in transportation, labeling or here in NYS etc. 

I know I don't like handling raw lead directly and always cast my weights and sinkers outside and then coated them with Plastidip so that I wouldn't be exposed to it handling them.

• 3 weeks later...

So i know that in Canadian national parks its illegal to even possess lead sinkers or jigs Are the waters around the islands in the St Lawrence that make up the St Lawrence Islands National Park part of the park. The islands are scattered and mixed in are privately owned islands. I can see the day coming when all lead jigs and sinkers are banned.

Edited by horsehunter