So what type of fish is this?

Lets see what you guys think about this fish species.  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What type of fish is picture below?

• King/Chinook
    • Atlantic
    • Coho
    • Steelhead/Rainbow
    • Pink Salmon
    • Other not listed

Now I think I know the species but vote above so if you wrong you can't get embarrassed/bashed unless of course you don't care. 

Let the fun begin!

0902151329a_zpshu85rbtl.jpg

Zoom in of the mouth.

Mouth_zpswka2umsz.jpg

Edited by Chas0218

Immature Coho although it would have been nice to have had a better look at the mouth to see whether white gums at all. Tail spotting looks only on the upper half from pic which is consistent with Coho but on the pic can't tell dorsal spotting or not either. The tail spotting should be entire tail if it were a king. If the mouth is entirely black inside could also be a hybrid between chinook and coho.

Edited by Sk8man

Added a little bigger view of the mouth. The fork in the tail is what kind of threw me. I have seen juvenile kings and coho but I didn't think the fork was that defined.

Edited by Chas0218

Young coho from what I see. Definitely a salmon with black mouth.

Kings have a black mouth bud. Cohos have grey gums.

That fish actually looks like a pink salmon. The deep fork and the spotting on the upper half as well as the heavy spots on the head suggest pink not juvie King or coho.

The pinks that I have seen have full tail spotting with white around the outside of the mouth ( females especially although spawning males may have a blackish line on it) and the spotting on the tail is usually a pronounced oval shape if I remember correctly. I believe the accentuated forking of the tail may be from the way it was being held with the hand underneath. Adipose isn't spotted either as it would be in juvenile king

Edited by Sk8man

Kings have a black mouth bud. Cohos have grey gums.

That fish actually looks like a pink salmon. The deep fork and the spotting on the upper half as well as the heavy spots on the head suggest pink not juvie King or coho.

You know that is what I thought! Pink salmon but wasn't entirely sure.

The pinks that I have seen have full tail spotting with white around the outside of the mouth ( females especially although spawning males may have a blackish line on it) and the spotting on the tail is usually a pronounced oval shape if I remember correctly. I believe the accentuated forking of the tail may be from the way it was being held with the hand underneath. Adipose isn't spotted either as it would be in juvenile king

There are spots on the bottom portion of the tail.

You know that is what I thought! Pink salmon but wasn't entirely sure.

It's been a long time since I've caught one. We used to catch them all the time in Erie in the 80's and I know they are still ocassionally caught there as well as Lake O.

I'm sticking with my "guess"

Of Pink salmon.

I have been catching fish sporadically that look just like yours over here on Lake Michigan. Started for me in '98 when I caught a 14#er in May, and later that summer I, and others that I know caught several of these fish in the 17-20# range. I had caught a few throughout the years after, but last year they seemed to make a resurgence.

The bigger ones I have caught will have you thinking King Salmon immediately the way they strike, stay down, and make powerful runs. But when you get them boatside, they have the blue/green sheen of a Coho. Once they are in the boat, they all have marking that falls between King and Coho. Black mouth on the bottom, greyish white on top. Spots predominately on the top of the tail, yet some spots do appear on the bottom of the forked tail. 15 anal rays (Coho=13-15/King=15-19 anal rays). None that I have seen have a fin clip.

With the amount of natural reproduction going on over here, I am convinced that these fish are a cross between a King and a Coho, and I would bet that is what your fish is. So, my vote is for the legendary "Kingho", lol.

Edited by Tyee II

I have been catching fish sporadically that look just like yours over here on Lake Michigan. Started for me in '98 when I caught a 14#er in May, and later that summer I, and others that I know caught several of these fish in the 17-20# range. I had caught a few throughout the years after, but last year they seemed to make a resurgence.

The bigger ones I have caught will have you thinking King Salmon immediately the way they strike, stay down, and make powerful runs. But when you get them boatside, they have the blue/green sheen of a Coho. Once they are in the boat, they all have marking that falls between King and Coho. Black mouth on the bottom, greyish white on top. Spots predominately on the top of the tail, yet some spots do appear on the bottom of the forked tail. 15 anal rays (Coho=13-15/King=15-19 anal rays). None that I have seen have a fin clip.

With the amount of natural reproduction going on over her, I am convinced that these fish are a cross between a King and a Coho, and I would bet that is what your fish is. So, my vote is for the legendary "Kingho", lol.

Now as I rechecked it...Yes! Chinho!

It does have an adipose fin..if from Ontario it could be natural spawn, but not entirely sure what year this fish is in.