wire dipsy storage

I just have a quick question. We switched both of our dipsy rods to wire this year. I remember reading somewhere that you can add a short length of mono after the wire, so that you can reel all of the wire into the reel, and then break the rod in two for storage so you don't kink the line...although doesn't this sort of defeat the purpose of the wire? or is it best to just reel the line until the swivel reaches the tip of the rod? 

Also, what knots are you using to the swivel?

I've never had a problem with any of mine just reeling the swivel up to the tip. Even when the drag is completely off in storage it isn't a problem. I use 1 piece rods with roller tips and large swivel.

Edited by Sk8man

I dont use any mono on mine.  Just a big bead before the swivel - it prevents the newbies from reeling the swivel in the the roller tip and losing a fish.  I dont have to break down my rods so i cant help you there.  For a knot, I just tie a normal granny knot x3 to the swivel and tighten each one with pliers.  There is no pain like getting loose wire stuck in your thumb by the way....so use pliers. 

I break my rods and bring the tip against the butt leaving two guides side by side and have never had trouble with the wire kinking. As far as a knot I tie a loop with an overhand knot, insert loop through eye of large swivel and pull loop around entire swivel, then pull tight.

Edited by Firechief48

I break my rods and bring the tip against the butt leaving two guides side by side and have never had trouble with the wire kinking. As far as a knot I tie a loop with an overhand knot, insert loop through eye of large swivel and pull loop around entire swivel, then pull tight.

Exactly what I do. It works.