Marine Grade Plywood

JakeyBaby

• 3 weeks later...

Lots of hours sanding, fiberglassing, and grinding the hatches I have been rebuilding are finally ready for paint. I'm going with Pettit Easy Epoxy paint with the rolling and tipping method. Hope it comes out ok!

post-148213-14598058988196_thumb.jpg

Will post some pics after painted, not sure if I'm going to go with 2 or 3 coats. Paint will be followed up with Kiwigrip for non skid.

Layed the final coat of Pettit EZ Poxy ( 3 coats) hope it's enough. First time attempting a project like this. Going to let the paint cure for a few days then Kiwigrip non skid will be layed down then hardware reinstall then tackle the rest of the boat!

post-148213-14599863638589_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14599863755657_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14599863851812_thumb.jpg

Edited by JakeyBaby

Gel coat will not cure over epoxy resin,no matter how long you let it cure. If you use gel coat (polyester base product) over an epoxy surface the gel coat will never harden it will just remain gummy forever.

Too many people are using epoxy for areas that would be just as good if you used a polyester resin.

Virtually every boat on the market today is built with polyester or at the most vinylester resin.All the work boats,commercial boats,lobsterboats,high end yachts,etc. are all built with polyester or vinylester resins.

Yes epoxy has better adhesion than polyester,but in most cases polyester will outlive you if done correctly.Using epoxy for simple repairs is like building a dollhouse with 3/4" plywood,it's way overkill,and usually not necessary.

As for non skid decks thickened gel coat makes a great no slip surface and it's reasonably priced.Start with a coat of no wax gel coat thickened up with some cabosil (aka thixotropic powder) to the consistency of ketchup or mayonnaise and tinted to your color choice.Right after it kicks(cures) apply a coat of "Waxed" gel coat thickend and tinted like above.

Apply it with a short nap (not foam)roller over the first coat.You will see that it makes tiny peaks on the surface like a stipple effect.

Keep another dry roller available to just lightly roll it over the still un-cured surface.This knocks down the peaks to the texture you desire.

You can experiment a bit to get used to how it works on a scrap piece of plywood or cardboard.

Here's a few pictures of the before and after of the non slip gel coat I did when I restored my 23' SeaCraft.*

url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/easy2/media/IMG_0854.jpg.html]IMG_0854.jpg[/url]

IMG_1560.jpg

IMG_1557.jpg

Edited by big easy

Thanks for the kind words,it was a three year restoration.

u can buy the non slip beads from places like west marine l think they carry the Awlgrip line.I've used them before and they work pretty nice.You can mix them into the paint of your choice(like Easypoxy),or you can sprinkle them on to the paint while it's still wet.

You can buy anything you need to repair or build a boat from Merton fiberglass in Massachusetts.He ships every where and is a one day delivery point to most of the members that are on this site.

He stocks most of the Interlux line,and all kinds of resins,(Epoxies,Polyesters,Vinylesters,Dions,etc.) fiberglass fabric, ss fasteners,flotation pour foam,putty's,Basically anything needed to build or repair a boat.

He is incredibly knowledgeable and won't sell you something you don't need.He's well known with a good reputation on several boating repair sites. On most products his prices are far better than the big box marine stores.

*************************************************************************************************************

I have to admit that he's a friend of mine,and I work for him but if you want to deal with someone that is honest with great customer service and free advice over the phone,he's the guy.

***********************************************************************************************************

He built the 30' lobster boat you see on his web site.Here's the site

www.mertons.com

Word of caution on the non-slip paints. White floors look great when finished but begin to pick up rubber from shoes and quickly looks crazy. My floor started white and I ended up going over it with a grey

• 2 weeks later...

Well I finally completed my deck hatch repairs and refinishing minus the hardware ware!! Lot more hours and money then expected but pretty happy at this point with the way they turned out. Final step was laying the Kiwigrip non skid. Added a little of my own touch to the main deck hatch by putting my boat name in the non skid. Can't wait to get the boat wet soon, been dieing to get the boat done. A little more buffing and waxing and she should finally be ready for the dock.

post-148213-1461280964336_thumb.jpgpost-148213-1461280986188_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14612809971247_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14612810214422_thumb.jpg

Im putting kiwi down today myself...any tips? Getting the carpet glue up was an absolute nightmare! I patched all the seams, fasteners, and imperfections in the plywood deck with sandable epoxy and then sealed it yesterday. post-151276-14613252752912_thumb.jpg

Sent from my LGLS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes, make sure you lay your kiwigrip down as even as possible through out the whole area! I have a few spots that wasn't even and now I have to go back tonight sand it down a little and add more product. The biggest thing I would suggest is keeping the pressure with the roller as consistent as possible! Otherwise you will have high peaks and valleys in spots and little texture in others. Just keep the same pressure and go back and forth and side to side and will lay out nicely. The harder the pressure the more coarse it will be, alot of mine came out a little coarser then I wanted but doesn't really seem like it will be to bad on your feet any way so it is what it is! Overall seems like a great product.

I used a 4 inch putty knife. 1/8 in sarated trowel would definitely be the way to go. I thought the trowel I had was 1/8 but was 1/4 and that would have just made a mess.

Edited by JakeyBaby

My floor came out as I had hoped. Thanks for the advice...how did you inlay the boat name? I used a 5/32 X 3/32 V trowel to spread the kiwi grip. I also had 3 of the 4 inch textured roller covers so I put all 3 on a 12 inch roller frame. I trowelled and rolled the kiwi in the same direction so the texture is directional and will wash down better. I had to spread the kiwi very evenly and thin to minimize the texture. I was very surprised how difficult it was to get the exact finish I wanted and I use a notch trowel for a living! I love the final result though.

post-151276-14613823376346_thumb.jpg

Sent from my LGLS996 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

post-151276-14613823163845_thumb.jpg

Looks awsome! Yea it's tough to lay down more the expected to get the exact results that you havr in your head I used a vynal sticker to lay the name down. Whent over it then peeled it up. Came out much better then expected. Rough installed them tonight to test fit and I happy with results with Kiwigrip at this point!

post-148213-1461382996315_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14613830122201_thumb.jpg

Edited by JakeyBaby