Marine Grade Plywood

JakeyBaby

Anyone know where to get Marine Grade Plywood in the Rochester area? I'm in the process of re-coring the hatches in my floor. Was originally planning on using pressure treated plywood wood but some research has led me to believe that epoxies and resins won't adhere properly. Thanks Matt

Called a local plastic company and talked to a guy there about getting a sheet of poly to core the harches with rather then wood. He told me he has material at his house that would work for what I need and he would cut it to size for me at half the cost retail! Pretty neat deal and I won't have to worry about rot in the hatches dwn the road. Anyone ever use the plastic instead of wood? Does epoxies and resins stick properly?

Called a local plastic company and talked to a guy there about getting a sheet of poly to core the harches with rather then wood. He told me he has material at his house that would work for what I need and he would cut it to size for me at half the cost retail! Pretty neat deal and I won't have to worry about rot in the hatches dwn the road. Anyone ever use the plastic instead of wood? Does epoxies and resins stick properly?

You will have to find the right stuff that is compatible.  For example, King Starboard does not bond to anything.

Well I decided to go with marine plywood instead of a plastic replacement. Next question I have has to deal with non skid paint. Anyone ever lay non skid down on fiberglass? Kiwigrip seems to be a great product but very expensive $50 for a liter which will cover Roughly 20 sq ft. Plus $25 for the roller. 20 sq ft really not that much coverage giving it's only 4ft x 5 ft. Anyone ever use Kiwigrip or any other products?

Sand sprinkle technique is hard to clean from what I understand.  I used interlux with non-slip additive.  Tape off the area and roll it on.....easy.  Make sure the surface is free of oil or wax and prep with an acetone wipe. 

I just redid a few floors with a product from Home Depot.  It is PVC.  Roughed up the surface with 80 grit and used Total Boat epoxy.  Laid several layers of glass on the skin, adhered the PVC to it.

For the floor surface, I prefer a product called "Tred Tex", I apply it to wet paint by blowing it out of my hand with compressed air.  

I have used used the floor paint with the rubber in it.  I did not like it, I had it in my small boat and the rubber pieces would pull out of the paint, get in the bilge, not a great product.

Anywhere cheaper then $100 a sheet?

I went to Pittsford Lumber to get mine a 4x8x1/4 was $81.55. They also carry West Systems Epoxy Resins and Hardener and fillers there also. IMO the best stuff out and very easy to use. Unfortunately i have to go back tomarrow to buy more west system, I used more then I thought I would on my project which has been a royal pain in A$$ to this point. Gota love it to stick with it!

Edited by JakeyBaby

As far as I know you have to paint if you don't add a wax additive. If you add wax you can gelcoat. I plan on painting since very little surface area will see as I am putting non skid down over most. Does this answer your questions?