garmin tr1 gold help

zackblain

Having trouble getting the unit to work correctly, motor is brand new 9.9 honda, boat is 26' starcraft islander (aluminum.) Installed as per instructions, have full manual function of steering and throttle control works great. However when we try to calibrate it as per the manual, with the circles, until the compass calibrates and shuts the unit down on its own, the unit will not hold a course at all. 

-The wire from the head unit to the compass ball is under the port gunnel, away from any other power/transducer cords.

- Compass ball is at least 2' away from any ferrous metals, speakers, radios. it's up in the cuddy, mounted to wooden shelves near the centerline of the boat. 

- several times now we have gone through the calibration process and the unit shuts off as per the manual, which is supposed to indicate a successful compass calibration, however even after this, and adjusting the rudder gain/sensitivity. the unit always seems to end up going in complete circle.

Has anyone installed one of these units? Garmin hasn't been super helpful, and neither has hodges marine where the unit was purchased from. 

Thanks in advance. 

I have the same unit on a 9.9 Honda myself. The garmin hotline will assist you while you are actually on the water and step you through the paces. Garmin Tr-1 Helpline

1-866-559-0229

I had problems with mine because of a failed pump, but they cut me a break on price even though it was out of warranty.

Thanks big water, where did you mount the compass in your boat?

I didn't, the place that sold me the boat mounted it. It's about 2/3 of the way forward on the boat and slightly to the port under a floor storage area. I'd call Garmin and set up a call for when you're on the water.

Also check the compass mounting area with a hand held compass to ensure nothing is affecting the compass. I was the recommended distance from a speaker but I still had big influences on where the CB was mounted. I ended up pulling the speaker and checking with a hand held and it was great. Also make sure you have the CB orientated correctly with the arrow on it facing forward. That messed me up once when I removed it from the holder and then reinserted but didn't pay attn. to where the arrow was. Needless to say the compass reading and the Garmin output didn't match.

Spike

Also check the compass mounting area with a hand held compass to ensure nothing is affecting the compass. I was the recommended distance from a speaker but I still had big influences on where the CB was mounted. I ended up pulling the speaker and checking with a hand held and it was great. Also make sure you have the CB orientated correctly with the arrow on it facing forward. That messed me up once when I removed it from the holder and then reinserted but didn't pay attn. to where the arrow was. Needless to say the compass reading and the Garmin output didn't match.

Spike

Hmm, the instructions never mentioned any arrow but that would make sense, I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks!

Hmm, the instructions never mentioned any arrow but that would make sense, I'll check it out tonight.

Thanks!

I don't have the TR1 but I do have the GH10 and on the compass ball there is an indicator (triangle) that is supposed to be facing the front of the boat.

Good luck.