best bait for spring bullheads

Hi all,

i have never done well on good-sized bullhead and am hoping to this spring.

I am curious about your favorite baits and also how you rig for bullhead - do you have a wait on bottom and a separate hook line coming off a three-way swivel of just some splitshot above your hook?

thanks,

dre

Both chicken livers and Night crawlers work well. Chicken livers sometimes work better but are harder to keep on the hook. I have also heard of people using shrimp but i have never tried it. For a rig all i do is tie on a hook(the ones already attached to a 6 inch leader in the package) about a foot up on the line and attach an egg sinker to the bottom. 

Leaches, red worms (manure worms), nightcrawlers, liver, small chunks of shrimp that are starting to go bad.  They are bottom feeders primarily so a two hook setup one located about 6 inches up ion 6 -8  lb fluoro leader from a 1/4/ to 1/2 oz bell sinker (depending on how far you need to cast) and the other about 12 inches up either using a 2 inch loop on the line or tied directly. When tied directly you can feel them right away.Gold aberdeen hooks in size #4 (they are relatively fine wire so they don't feel them as readily). If fishing in real shallow a weighted pencil bobber rig can work too with a small jig set about 3ft down.  Often the best time is when a slight southerly wind is blowing toward you

Edited by Sk8man

use alternative baits such as shrimp, minnows, [dead or alive] and especially crayfish or leeches... Worms are good , but the sunnies tear them apart.. Crayfish and minnows  are deadly on bullheads, but almost no one uses them...

i always found that for size of bullhead location was more important than bait.  worms were always the easiest to transport and use and fishing at night keeps the sunnies to a minimum.  livers work but for the love of god dont forget them in your car man they stink.  leeches work but they can escape in the fridge if you keep them (dont ask).  I could never use shrimp they are to tasty for me to let go.  two hooks about a foot apart with a weight below keep the rod set at a low angle and put a piece of foil on the tip to see better in the lantern light.  if you fish in a spawning area you'll catch a lot of similar sized fish if you are in a channel on the way to a spawning area you'll catch a nice mix.  some of my favorite areas had a tendancy to produce dogfish (bowfin) as well they are always a blast at night all them teeth when its tough to see out.  I kind of miss those days when I could be up all night and still function the next morning

Sk8man has it right. Caught many on leaches and you avoid a lot of sunfish and small perch. Also have caught many using a light bobber and two hooks with no weight. Crappie fishing I have caught them on crappy jigs and a minnow.below a float.

Edited by Kevin J Legg

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't tried them in egg sacs. I don't imagine it would slow the bite. Their after the taste and smell. Texture might make a difference in how long they hold on.... But as long as it's chicken liver it works. I plan on tying some up but weather needs to be 60 again