23ft Sea Ray For Sale -10/17/16 Price Reduced

^^^^ aaannnnndddd there's always a catch.... as the old saying goes if it's to good to be true it probably is....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

you kind of figure buying an 88 theres going to be transom issues. could steal be a good deal if the boats cheap enough. redoing a transom on a 23' isnt that bad of a job. The question is, how long the water sat in there and comprimised everything else.  im going south this winter for my boat.  good be a good deal tho nick if hell let it go for 2k

Did you fix the transom where the water is running into boat n the power steering rack unit ?? Spoke w your mechanic and he said you new all about it when in fact you said you didnt know

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Fishhook,

I’m going to give you the benefit of doubt that you are not calling me a liar since you seemed like a nice guy when I met you.

To clarify, we do not dock the boat often. Last year we docked the boat for a few days and I noticed some water pouring out when I pulled the plug and it had not rained. I told our mechanic to check it out and he could not find anything. He also checked the bellows and transom and they looked fine. If this was what the mechanic was referring to then I guess you are correct.

To further clarify, I’m selling this boat for my father who has Alzheimer’s and I’m not making a dime off the sale. I have no special interest in selling the boat other than trying to get what I thought was fair market value for him. I also have allowed all interested parties the opportunity for a Sea Trial, survey, speak with the mechanic or whatever else they need to do to feel comfortable with their purchase.

If you are insinuating that I’m using some unsurely sales tactics then you are sorely mistaken.

Edited by A-Lure-A

you kind of figure buying an 88 theres going to be transom issues. could steal be a good deal if the boats cheap enough. redoing a transom on a 23' isnt that bad of a job. The question is, how long the water sat in there and comprimised everything else.  im going south this winter for my boat.  good be a good deal tho nick if hell let it go for 2k

Hey Sammy Dog,

The boat was kept in a pole barn all year and the plug was pulled after each use so any water that would have sat in there would not of had enough time to do any damage. The leak that ole Fishhook found when he was out there was a drip (about a drip every 15 sec) coming from around the seal where the lower unit connects to the transom. Over the course of an 8 hr day it may have amounted to a gallon or so of water. I would recommend resealing it before it gets worse. Again, anybody that is interested is welcome to fully inspect the transom. Although the power steering works fine it was out of fluid the last time I Sea Trialed it so there probably is a small leak there too.

To your point, the boat is an 88, and I believe I’m offering the boat at a fair enough price to accommodate for any of these issues.  

Edited by A-Lure-A

It is not a drip... And i am just pointing out tgat it needs to b fixed. Theres guys out here that are clueless when it comes to boats. It will cost at least $2000-3000 to fix according to your mechanic. According to you "you had no idea it was like that " your mecganic / shop told us that you did know all about it.

Im not being an **** or trying to slam you but being upfront and honest is always the best way to be.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

at $2999.00, it is well under the market.  It in fact is priced in the range now of small fishing boats(like the one I am trying to sell).  There is risk involved in buying anything that is 30 years old but right now, the trailer is almost worth 1/2 of the price.

Fishhook,

Thank you for your honesty and being a standup guy. To keep you in the loop, I offered your friend the opportunity to have a mechanic actually come assess the situation in person instead of diagnosing it over the phone. Instead he went with the worst case scenario quoted by the mechanic over the phone ($2000-$3000) and tried negotiating with me on that. Having worked with this mechanic, I know his policy is to set the proper expectations over the phone on what total damages could potentially be and then when he actually sees the job it is significantly less. Had a mechanic actually looked at the boat I would have been much more willing to work with him on a fair price. Again, I’m not doing this for the money, only to make sure my father is not getting taken advantage of.

As I have said, you are correct in that I told my mechanic there could potentially be a leak. I had him look in to it and he could not find the issue and chalked it up to an external source. It was not until I did the sea trial with you that we actually found the source and verified there was indeed a leak. I do appreciate you being “upfront and honest†and pointing out this discrepancy with what I said and what my mechanic recalled. Originally I thought that you were trying to slam me for not selling the boat to your buddy, but I see now that clearly is not the case. Leaking a gallon or so over the course of 8 hours was what was estimated to me directly from your buddy so you may also want to do some fact checking with him on the extent of the leak. I just want to make sure everything I’ve said is proper by your standards.

Thanks again for digging in to this matter.

Edited by A-Lure-A