Copper Question

I've never used copper before and am not familiar with how to use it, I see guys talking about different numbers of colors. Can someone give me a basic rundown on how and when to use copper? Do you run it to a leader then to your bait, etc?

Thanks for your help

Colors are for leadcore. Each color out achieves a certain amount of depth. Coppers are typically rigged, with backing, the copper, then the desired amount of leader. Every 100 feet reaches roughly 20' of depth depending on what pound test it is. A larger capacity reel is also needed to get several hundred feet of copper on the spool. It can be used really anytime of the year as long as your not fishing too shallow. Youtube is a great resource to show you how its actually rigged. Also using the search bar on this site will show you other questions that have been asked along with other info

Edited by Rippin'Line

I suggest starting with smaller amounts of copper, say 200. It's temperamental to let out and a nightmare when it bird nests on ya but stick w it. It's a great mid day setup.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've never used copper before and am not familiar with how to use it, I see guys talking about different numbers of colors. Can someone give me a basic rundown on how and when to use copper? Do you run it to a leader then to your bait, etc?

Thanks for your help

Id be more than willing to answer any copper questions you may have. Give me a call Rob 585-703-0969

:yes:  Here above is a great example of what makes this website different than most and a wonderful resource. Unlike some places the charter guys and avid sport fishermen alike are willing to share with others to make the sport better. It sure is an improvement on the "old days" where little if any info was shared among fishermen and about the best that you could hope for was closely observing an "old timer" without them realizing it :lol: 

300 copper is the most popular size on Lake Ontario. Need a big reel for that like a CV55 (I got 280 ft on a CV45).

You need to add backing normally broad to save on space and at least 500 ft. Then add the copper and finally a 15 ft fluoro leader 20 lb test.

Need to put it on carefully and let it out slow so it doesn't tangle.

Best used when fish are 50 ft or deeper. We just add it to our spread of 6 to 8 rods. Have 1 or 2 put. Normally put meat on one and a spoon on the other.

:yes: Here above is a great example of what makes this website different than most and a wonderful resource. Unlike some places the charter guys and avid sport fishermen alike are willing to share with others to make the sport better. It sure is an improvement on the "old days" where little if any info was shared among fishermen and about the best that you could hope for was closely observing an "old timer" without them realizing it :lol:

i agree. Great example of how outstanding this forum is. This forum taught me 90% of what i know thanks to the big dogs helping others out.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Copper sinks on its own. Get about 15 to 20ft depth per 100 ft of copper out.

But it's dangerous to put copper down the chute (middle), although some people do. If another rod hits a fish that line will cross into the copper and you will have a mess on your hands.

Most guys will put the copper on an online planer board like a TX44. This pulls the line to the side of the boat and out of the way.