Sheds 2016

That one the young lady is holding is an oldy but a goodie! We have a small group of guys that has been shed hunting for years. I'll pull some pics from them and post. My 14yr old dog 'Sheddy' I originally trained to pick up sheds but when she was two I introduced her to tracking downed deer. She goes with me still but could care less about a little bone, but she has found lots of dead ones! My best year was 24 sheds with her help.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's sweet I am going to get a lab soon and work on training her for sheds and down deer as well I'm at 9 for the year beat my last year record with still lots of time doesn't help when I brother old lady out n she picks them up but at the end of the day there all going to my collection lol

I went shed hunting on Sunday- pulled my card when I got there and 7 of 8 bucks on camera still had antlers. I did manage to find this- a miracle the mice didn't destroy it. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1458085235.767411.jpgattachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1458085255.082825.jpg

That rack has a ton of character, too bad he didn't live a few more years, nice find.

• 2 weeks later...

My good finds over the years. About 40 decent sheds and some dead heads I found and killed, lol!

Last one is my dog Shed, and a 69" half a ten. Two from Texas two from Newfoundland. It becomes an obsession!

post-150622-14589383032632_thumb.jpg

post-150622-14589383182709_thumb.jpg

post-150622-14589383307561_thumb.jpg

post-150622-14589385080655_thumb.jpg

I'm a licensed leashed tracker and we have tracked over 25 times a year for the last 8 or so years. My phone rings off the hook without deersearch. Sorry I don't agree with a lot of their ways.

Deersearch has nothing to do with the licensing process, besides having input on the questions on the test.

Edited by Nautitroller

Deer search is a non profit, with our donations going to kids to get them interested in hunting and fishing. I too am DEC licensed.

My avatar is my tracking dog, very good mutt at it too.

Edited by scobar

Don't want to put the organization down but these are my problems, follow the money where every dollar goes " hierarchy", their idea of how to teach tracking, and most have no idea how to read a dog. They couldn't tell you the difference between a two yr old deer track and a four yr old. How do you tell when your dog isn't on the correct track. Difference between air checking and ground checking. How about the way I have found multiple deer, look for crows. Stuff that I have learned doing this hundreds of times. The first question I got from them was what breed is your dog. It's a mutt, one that works her butt off for hours and never wants to quit. She is now 14 and is retired I'm considering another dog but my heart isn't into another 10-12 yrs of guys that think they made a lethal shot. I give you a huge amount of respect for what you do.

If you ever want to talk pm me I'll give you my number.

John

Edited by Nautitroller

For what it's worth I'm with my second "mutt" both from rescues and like yours work their tails off. I do however feel deer search is a great club for bringing KIDS into what we all love on this forum. Too many kids are not being introduced to the outdoors today. I get so much enjoyment out of finding a deer for a first year hunter that keeps me coming back for more and educating them along the trail.

Scott

I apologize for any bash just my experience I had with the group. Again kudos to what you do, great job! There should be more guys out there doing it. As for kids I've worked hard to get kids involved in the outdoors, tomorrow I am taking a friend of my kid that is home on leave (marines) to Seneca fishing. I've coached and hopefully been a positive role model for getting kids involved in the outdoors. Your organization is great, be sure to ask where every dollar goes. Is everyone a volunteer? They were so adamant at the test that I needed to join it turned me off so when I started asking questions that's when things went south. BTW, Gotta love them mutts!