Sale of FIsh

Still trying to figure out the axe King is trying to grind here on this thread. He is all over the place and attacking someone new. If he is some sort of "biologist", he has some of the most distorted thinking for his profession. My opinion is that he has a degree in the psuedo science of pyschology. He has diverted the topic of this thread so far off course that I hope I dont run my boat in the same waters that he fishes.

Still trying to figure out the axe King is trying to grind here on this thread. He is all over the place and attacking someone new. If he is some sort of "biologist", he has some of the most distorted thinking for his profession. My opinion is that he has a degree in the psuedo science of pyschology. He has diverted the topic of this thread so far off course that I hope I dont run my boat in the same waters that he fishes.

That is ok. I don't think the real fisheries biologists will base any of their decisions on what he has to say.

I don't know why he thinks perch are hard for other people to catch. They are good for kids to start on because they are easy to catch. I got tired of catching them when I was 7 years old and there weren't as many dinks as there are now.

Perch are great to eat but so are walleye and you don't need as many of them to make a meal. They are more challenging to catch too.

Edited by muskiedreams

For the love of God can somebody shut this topic down already. This dead horse has been beaten so hard it's starting to look like a Trump/Clinton love-child.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For the love of God can somebody shut this topic down already. This dead horse has been beaten so hard it's starting to look like a Trump/Clinton love-child.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

For sure! You guys have taken this way too far.

Edited by Kingfisher06

The last time I did this I got a spanking from the Mod's but I just can't help myself.

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig in the mud. Sooner or later you may figure out he just may like it.

post-139511-0-09009200-1458141421_thumb.jpg

We don’t want to shut this thread down. The more we talk about it, we might get the law passed. Its hard getting the message across to some people. You have to drill it into their heads till the message sinks in. moderators please keep the thread going.

So is there an argument for profit from the fishery because no taxes are getting paid off sales of perch? Simple question.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think if it went to commercial sale only then the state would make more money on taxes.

I agree. I understand both sides, opinions. Also, how these opinions have potential to have scientific facts if studies, become facts.

I have no worries on this debate. I just like to understand the arguments or disputes so to speak, from both sides.

Been a good ready to follow.

So is there an argument for profit from the fishery because no taxes are getting paid off sales of perch? Simple question.

I never attempted to pay taxes. I don't know tax law well enough to say it was illegal or legal. It probably has to do with a threshold of earnings. The idea of keeping track of bait, gas, vehicle repairs, shanty repairs, propane, fishing equipment etc for a write off really hurts my head to think about. I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned a ~10k salary for a federal tax reporting threshold, don't know state. The state gets way more than its share as it is with perch: sales tax, gas tax, license tax. I can't speak for the buyer who then distribute, but I assume they are taxed at that level of earning. Could be wrong, folks buying and selling perch aren't hardly getting by. It's like a guy doing charters, only does two charters all year, doubt he has to report at the level of earning. This is all a guess though. Edited by Kingfisher06

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently we don't need more laws just enforce the ones all read on the books. But I guess that would mean the state boys would have to get out and earn there pay.

So I guess they don't work? The one or maybe two that they have per County have more than they can handle.

Apparently we don't need more laws just enforce the ones all read on the books. But I guess that would mean the state boys would have to get out and earn there pay.

I have known some of the conservation officers in DEC section 8 for many years and they are some of the most hard working guys out there. When most of us are at home at night or odd hours or holidays (for us) for example many times they are out doing their job just as are the true majority of state law enforcement officers (e.g State Police). They don't have the easiest jobs either in current times. The folks to direct your anger and displeasure at are the incompetent legislators and the Emperor (Cuomo) himself not the"worker bees" trying to cope with the budget cuts, short staffing issues etc. they should be receiving our full support not unfounded criticism. We do need to have the laws enforced but enough folks to do it is what is lacking.

Edited by Sk8man

Interesting subject.

I used to take my son fishing in Honeoye lake ,but there the perch did take a serious nose dive.

Anyway Sk8man,I will now nickname you Leon (T) and you may call me Karl (M).

If perch goes the way of the buffalo ,we can only blame ourselves either for our greed,ignorance or lack of respect for nature around us.This world is not ours to rape in the name of enterprise and capitalism. I think that in the book of Genesis in the first chapter verse 28, it is written that man was given dominion over the fish in the sea to subdue it ,to have dominion over it and to replenish it.Nowhere does it say that we are allowed to rape it.

Edited by rolmops

You probably don't have to pay taxes from selling fish to grocery stores or restaurants as that would be considered wholesale and they don't double dip on taxes- those fish would be taxed at the retail level, when sold in the store or restaurant.

But there is no threshold for NYS, and all sales are supposed to be reported. You're also supposed to collect a copy of the business license of the company you are selling to wholesale, as well as other stuff even though you wouldn't be collecting sales tax.

NY is a pain. The worst part for me is the different tax jurisdictions, which is fine if you have retail store, but for a mail order business you have to add up all sales (by delivery address) in each county, which means finding out which county an address is in, and sorting them all out that way. They sure don't make it easy and I'm not surprised many mini-businesses don't follow the rules.

Edited by hermit

Well today I have more snow on the ground than I have had all winter,(so much for the "experts" who know that the lake is too low) the boat is still in storage and the fish are not biting so I am reading this shtuf.

There are some issues here that concern me. Personally I don't care about the perch. It appears to me that the teacher doesn't care about perch or perch fishermen either. I see him teaching these impressionable adolescences (to say they are self thinking 11th graders is an oxymoron) a lessen on how to work the legislative process to change the laws for a bettor future for themselves. that's good. However in this case it also is to eliminate the competition for a capitalist venture (fish farm) and to trample on the local traditions and way of life of others.

Somebody on the first page of this thread said " I'd just like to ensure that future generations may enjoy the same things we have up to this point." Well one of the things we have enjoyed for generations up to this point is to go out in the winter fish up a bucket of perch sell them and go next door and have a good perch dinner and a beer or two. You can't teach the value of local tradition in a class room and I am unaware of any scientific study. Hopefully the students are still open to the opinions of this topic and that is why it was brought up, and not just to tell us what they are doing for us. 

I have seen way to often people, some of you people and teachers, who have come to this finger lakes region on vacation, or for college or you married a local. then you moved here because you really liked how it is here. Then after a few years you want to change how we are here, unwittingly making this like the place you didn't like and moved from. You impose your downstate laws and regulations along with your sense of morals and good grammar on us. Some are good many are not.

As for the north American perch. Do any of you really think that hook and line fishing will cause the extinction of the species ? The bipeds will be gone long before the yellow perch. Weather, predation ,including fishing, environmental factors and even Haileys comet have an effect on the numbers of perch at any given time. They survived the last ice age and will probably survive the next.

When the numbers are low pressure on them declines, when the numbers are up more people find it worthwhile to fish for them. That is the natural way of all life. Some want to micro manage the lakes as a personal fish farm. That is the " ignorance or lack of respect for nature around us" !

As for the selling of perch hopefully 30 years from now people will be still discussing it as they were 30 years ago, nothing has changed.

We may be a dying bread Kingfisher, longing for the ways of our past local traditions to remain. I respect you for expressing your opinion and taking the heat for it. Your way of thinking is as foreign to them as theirs is to us. You are welcome to fish from my boat any day.

Now I'm going to climb back under my rock throw some more COAL into the stove and try to stay warm.