Launched out of bear creek this am on Anthony's boat from timber lake tackle. There was 6 boats out there as well. The lake was glass, bummer I'll take a chop any day. We had close to 30 bites and got most of them. Frost bite on riggers was the man. Boards was a mish mash of sticks, mostly natural stuff, large or small 70 to 100ft back. Got a visit from border patrol with the coast guard aboard. Checked all of our safety equipment and then warned us if being to close to ginna. I think we are done with that. The Altmar and Oswego boats are showing up there as well. I will be fishing the genny soon enough. Spring is showing its face, good luck.

It's the ginna nuclear power plant...it's a warm water discharge that is a absolute magnet for fish during the winter...when the rest of the lake is cold, you can find 50+ degree water being pushed out into the lake from this power plant...if you want to risk being arrested you can get right in there and catch 100 Browns in a day...it has been said that when the perimeter buoys aren't in the water, the border patrol/coast guard won't come out after us...there is someone on guard at the plant that will blast a siren and get on a loud speaker telling you to get out and stay 1000 yards away...

It's a amazing place to fish, last time there with one other person solely casting cleos right into the warm discharge we landed 68-70 Browns, that was landed not hooked or "bites"...the guard was ****ing at us for a while but we pushed the envelope and nothing ever happened...

Last year the guard was pretty lenient to the rules...usually could fish in the illegal zone for about three hours before they would say anything...some days they never said anything...wouldn't chance it now after hearing of the coast guard being out there but when things are iced in and they can't get there boats in the water, it's a risk I'll take...slap on the wrist the first time being caught...besides the Browns, you can catch coho's, rainbows, atlantics, smallmouths and silver bass and we have caught all of these casting spoons...there are kings around too, but with so many other species they don't get a chance at a lure...watched one king last year repeatedly jumping trying to shake a lamprey...purely amazing place to fish, have at it!!!

Edited by Slimy Hooks

hey guys, not for nothing but i work security at ginna. just giving you guys a heads up. after the last few weeks of a few boats getting right up next to shore and not leaving, the site has had enough. homeland security is now involved along with the coastguard. they have made it very clear with the site and our management that if they continue to get called down here, that some one will pay. i know Tuesday that they requested some of our camera footage on the boats that were inside the buoys. i really think that if it wasn't for a few boats pushing the boundaries this prolly wouldn't be an issue. just trying to save you a hassle and getting tickets, so take it as you like.

Lousy terrorist really screwed it up for us. Back in the day we caught as many as 97 browns in one evening between just 2 of us. We used to tie our own flies and jerk them through the water and they would just hammer them. We even got a few walleye over the years. It was crazy, there were guys that would wade out there in their fishing inner tubes and sit just off the current.

Damn terrorist :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I

hey guys, not for nothing but i work security at ginna. just giving you guys a heads up. after the last few weeks of a few boats getting right up next to shore and not leaving, the site has had enough. homeland security is now involved along with the coastguard. they have made it very clear with the site and our management that if they continue to get called down here, that some one will pay. i know Tuesday that they requested some of our camera footage on the boats that were inside the buoys. i really think that if it wasn't for a few boats pushing the boundaries this prolly wouldn't be an issue. just trying to save you a hassle and getting tickets, so take it as you like.

I will assume that you guys will be replacing the lousy markers that were out there this past January. The ones that were out there were very small (about the size of endzone markers) they were white and very difficult to see when there is white caps. We stayed outside the markers 99% of the time, however a couple times when cutting the corner, we ended up 20 yards inside.....   

matt they tried to put the buoys out but during some rough times this winter it ripped out the buoy anchors.  they are now in process of getting them replaced. 

but like what you did isnt the problem,  its the guys who get right up close and are getting yelled at but refuse to leave those are the guys ruining it.  

My boat would move if asked and last year not once were the markers out while I was fishing...to begin, would run right up into where I wanted to be, maybe 2-4 hours later, sometimes never they would ask me to move and I certainly would...usually out deeper in front and they were ok with that, or on the fence line as you approach from the east...It was another persons boat I was on last year that didn't care about the warnings...he would leave for a minute, and go right back in and get yelled at some more...

Please just follow the rules, stay out. even if thw buoys are not visable most of the gps units these days have the parimeter marked.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

I agree, just follow the rules. You are breaking the law even if the markers aren't out yet. The slap on the wrist is a hefty fine for each person in the boat. Go back to last year's reports when the older guys came from Irondequoit bay and fished out front of Gina all morning. They were met at the dock back in the bay by border patrol and all issued tickets. I believe they said the fine was around $150 each.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do any of you guys remember fishing 9 mile plant in Oswego back when the Fitzpatrick plant was spewing all that warm water in the lake? All winter long we would wade the shore and even climb up on the dike and fling 1/2 ounce crocs or cleos at Browns, steelhead and cohos. I don't recall ever catching a king but man we caught everything else. Those were the days!! They even let us sleep in the visitors parking lot. Try that today and see what happens. I agree----- damn terrorists!!

That was actually Nine Mile 1 that we used to fish behind. It was an awesome fishery back in the day, and still would be. I work at Fitz, and we see fish in our intake channels all year. With the system that has been installed none of these fish are destroyed by the plant, so they can come and go whenever they want. But like what was stated before, everyone that is on the lake knows the rules, they are posted at every launch in the area. Do yourself and the rest of us a favor and abide by the rules. I have fished at the Ginna plant, you don't need to be inside the bouys to catch fish!!!! Really is too bad most people are more about numbers and not about the experience and just being on the water.

Capt Rich

Of-course you don't need to be inside the illegal zone to catch fish, the vast majority of the time I've spent there has been outside the perimeter, but since they were so relaxed about it, why not???

Do know 2 people that were caught by the coast guard inside the perimeter while buoys are out, slap on the wrist, no tickets/fine nada...$150.00 doesn't sound too bad if they were to let me fish there sun-up to sun-down...

One day by myself the guard got on the speaker and told me just move a little bit more to the east and I'll leave you alone and where he said I could anchor was still inside 1000 yards..some days it seemed as if they were kiddin' around with us, especially when they said "alright guys, you caught enough fish time to stay out"...think it's odd, that for hours they wouldn't say anything, maybe the boss walked by and then he had to do something???

I fish to catch fish, comraderie and being out there is a by-product of that...people think I'm a numbers guy??? Not at all...anyone that knows me is certain to the fact that catching as many fish as possible is low on the list, but I will put myself in a position to catch fish exactly how I desire...even trolling, I do not want to fight fish, I love the rigging aspect and figuring out what triggers a bite...plus I'm lazy and kings fight too hard...a lot of the methods I choose to fish are quite difficult and handicap me before even starting but I choose that as its very self satisfying...if it's just comraderie and being on the water that is of utmost importance, become a blow-boater!!!

Didn't mean to start anything, just spot burning for personal reasons and I haven't fished Ginna once this winter and most likely will not...really am not as much of a jerk as I'm making myself out to be, one of them days...

Edited by Slimy Hooks

Really blow boater??? I got my Capts license and run a guides business to put people on fish. But it is guys that have to post pics of 20-40 fish, or post a report that they hit 40 fish every time out so the can pump the chest out that I am referring to. This spot is one of those spots that it can be done, that's why I am bringing this up. I don't sell my trips on numbers, but on the fact of getting out and caching fish, doing it legally and having fun. But in today's world it seems that everyone needs to outdo everyone else. We can thank social media for, and this is one of those places unfortunately. I have had more people book trips to get away from all of the crap of the daily grind, catch some fish and have an enjoyable day. That's what fishing is about, not seeing who can catch more than everyone else. We are seeing the same thing on the tribs with regards to Steelies and Browns. Look at all the crying about no trout in the tribs this past fall and winter. What most don't remember are the days when you could go days without hooking much less landing a steelie. One of the reasons our lake trip hours have been reduced so much over the last couple years is because no one wants to come to the lake for only 1-4 fish, unless they want to fish for lakers.

Not trying to start an argument but it is reality, and it is pretty sad to see it being only about catching big numbers of fish. I can't respond to why you were allowed to stay inside the bouys, but I can tell you it won't be tolerated here on the east end!!

Capt Rich.

Yes, the blow-boat comment was rude/uncalled for and sent you a pm to apologize and am publicly apologizing to you here...I'm sorry for that comment...

We have very similiar views on fishing and I respect the outlook you have towards fishing...Your absolutely right about "one-upping" and chest pounding, exactly why you'll very rarely, if ever see me post reports or pictures as there is no need for that and could care less if people believe the experiences I've had...although I enjoy seeing people's pictures and reports as long as it's meant to be helpful/informative and not too boast...

The experience/scenery is part of fishing as well...my favorite place in the world to fish is Cattaraugus in October...scenery is beautiful, watching the sunrise burn off the morning fog over the creek is amazing and gives a feel of being in a wilderness setting as theres hardly, if any development within sight of the creek as well as wildlife of deer and eagles...plus you can walk for miles and escape a crowd...being able to experience the above and have a shot at catching dime bright steelhead is why I'm there and everything as a whole makes for a great experience...just a good example of how I'm not just a chest pounding, one upping, all about the numbers fishermen and have never posted a report or pictures of my excursions there, but people's jaws drop when being explained of the type of fishing that can be found...

No clue as to why last year the guard was so lenient, guess was just dumb luck but I wouldn't dare go into the quarantine zone if the buoys are out, but surely would double anchor right on the line to making sure to be legal and not let the boat swing...there are a few fishing laws that are routinely broken day after day, year after year by very ethical fishermen.l and I'm referring to cleaning fish on the lake at the end of a charter...believe there's a few stipulations regarding lakers, and skinning fish as if checked an officer has no clue what kind of fish it was...please correct me if I'm wrong...yea, that is very much different then the ginna thing but it's still a broken law...

The guards being lenient doesn't exactly leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling in todays world. There are a lot of things more important than fishing and safety is a major one. The rule isn't just to keep fishermen from fishing. We live in a very different climate these days with very real dangers that weren't a concern a decade or two ago and there are plenty of places to fish out there that don't involve breaking laws.

Captain Rich made some great points too by the way. :yes:

Same thing happened last year...one day there were 3 drift boats from the salmon river going back'n forth being relentlessly yelled at and they never moved...then the person I know that works in ginna mentioned that day the plant manager was on a rampage wanting everyone arrested and he advised we stay away for a few days and let him settle down...