It's foolish to think that this won't lead to a permanent obstruction being put In place to prevent anyone from fishing anywhere near this stuff ever again. Look what has happened on the tribs. Access gets taken away. Not only from all of us but from our children and grandchildren. Also if you think that your admissions here on this forum can't and won't be used against you in court your foolish and fool hardy. Just do us all a favor and abide by the rules. I have no problem with people going to jail or being fined for breaking the law I have a big problem with other people privileges being revoked because of the inconsiderate actions of a few.

What type of obstruction could they build??? Concrete piers that extend along the shore-line out to 50 feet of water like the buoys??? maybe massive gate type things so water can flow out and in??? They would better off blockading the launch ramp if they wanted to try and obstruct people's access...wouldn't mind if they built a few piers, would channel that warm water out to the depths so maybe we can catch some kings..the Browns like to stay shallow, even if you find that warm pocket of water out deep...

Yes, we lose access on tributaries...they use a sign on a tree/post to accomplish this...

I'm not as stupid as I tell myself, admission of guilt in any form can be prosecutable...just like someone can get a ticket for posting a pic on Facebook of them holding a lake sturgeon...

Been hearing rumors they want to shut down ginna anyway as its not turning a profit and they need to strike a deal with some energy company to keep it going...it very well could be all done in five years...although it's a lengthy termination process so they say, as soon as they stop pumping out heated water, the fishery is done...so our kids/grandchildren wouldn't have had a chance to fish there to begin with...don't quote me on this, just hear-say and through the grape vine statements and am surely not a nuclear technician...

Really not trying to be a jerk...its not easy finding people that are as kind/generous as myself...just stating my experiences with fishing at Ginna and never once had the oppurtunity to fish there prior to 9/11...if the question of what is Ginna was never asked, my mouth would be shut...

Edited by Slimy Hooks

I was out there Tuesday as well and stayed out of the forbidden zone.  My buddy and I did very well for a small boat and didn't have to worry about getting stopped by Border Patrol/USCG.  I know and work along side of the guys from both those agencies and they are doing their jobs.  So don't complain that they don't have anything better to do.  It is their jobs to do that just keep people out.  So here is a suggestion, obey the law.  If you do get stopped and just warned, don't turn around and go right back in.  You're gonna get a ticket or they may really put the screws to you and seize your stuff, which they can do if they really want to screw with you.  So why push it.  They only people they get upset with are the ones that anchor or troll in tight.  Like many of you have said, this isn't the old days and it will never be again unfortunately. 

All wise comments made about obeying the law and simply staying out of the zone...very understandable these agencies are doing there job and protecting us from a possible terrorist threat and have no ill feelings towards them and if I get caught and become arrested and all my equipment seized, fully understand it is my own fault...

Was just trying to make the best of an oppurtunity and a loop-hole in the system...it was border patrol officers that mentioned to me that they, nor the coast guard will come out to get us if the buoys aren't in...while it is marked on a gps, not everyone has one and yes can understand as a fishermen we should be knowing of all regulations in effect...

Loved taking my 1956, 14 foot piece of crap aluminum rowboat out to ginna and have done some serious fish catching in that thing and hope to do so again, but while the buoys are in, I will NOT go inside them..if they are ever out, I will get as close as possible without causing issues and have always moved when asked and never tried to go back in...

The worst enemy of security is not taking it serious. What would all those who ignore the security rules say when a small boat carrying an RPG would manage to fire it at an office in there?

You had better be advised that some people read everything (including this website)just endlessly looking for a weak spot. And the info about guards not enforcing the rules is not a joking matter.

You can roll up and fish right next to discharged at other nuke plants without a problem. What give these plants the right to

Steal our water. I understand the need for security. But it is wrong that is public water it belongs to us but yet people fall in line like sheep And say nothing about it in the name of security. Just last week a guy got sucked into an intake pipe in Florida scuba diving http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/03/08/scuba-diver-sucked-into-nuclear-power-plant-pipe.html

I have had the privledge of fishing ginna since the early 80's. It is a great fishery! Yes we had our "hay days" in the current for sure.Back in the day we would stop in at the plant and get a day pass to fish the current.The guards were always courtious and would pan the lake with the security cameras to check the lake conditions.Safety was and is always paramount when fishing lake o. esp. late winter early spring.Although 9-11 changed our access to the current we understand those intakes must be safeguarded!As previously stated you can still do well while obeying the LAW! It saddens me to think the actions of some who want to '' push the envelope'' could compromise a great area to fish! Some times laws and rules do not always make sence ,but they must be adheared to.Please try to excerise more restraint and obey the rules so that the future of fishing here is available for our children and grandchildren! All of us share moral obligation to be ambassadors of the sport we love and cherrish!

• 2 weeks later...

After reading what happened this morning in Brussels with suicide bombers both in the airport and the underground ,it really makes a lot of sense to respect the safety measures around our nuclear plants.

The people who organize these murder sprees are very intelligent and patient. Let's not give them an opportunity to get close to a nuke plant.

X2 and a major part of being an ethical sportsman is following the rules...if you arent its the same thing as snagging, poaching, and ignoring the limit. Each angler in his or her own infinite wisdom doesnt get to decide which rules to follow or which ones are important.

Some may think it isn't necessary to have the safeguards surrounding Gina, Nine Mile etc... But, try looking at it this way. Do you want to fish in Chernobyl? Hell no.  Like mentioned above in regards to Brussels yesterday, if someone detonates a bomb inside one of these plants what do you think is going to happen to OUR beloved Lake Ontario after a nuke plant meltdown?? It would be game over. Keep the safe guards in place and obey them. Is it really worth the risk to catch a few more fish? I would hope we would say no it isn't.