So I have a 300 Copper on an Okuma CV55 - I purchased spro heavy swivels, size 4 rated for 240lb test...these were slightly too big. The only other swivels they had at the store were spro size 5 power swivels rated for 120lbs. Will these be enough? I guess the size is making think bigger would be stronger. 

To tie to these swivels, I just do a haywire twist with copper to swivel? Also, which size shrink wrap works best for this?

Would love any tips or advice you could give me

ThanksQ

120lb is more than enough. Haywire twist with shrink wrap. I'll never go back to Albright knots after losing multiple leaders and entire coppers. I know this is contentious, but I've learned my lesson.

Leave the Albrights for lead core.

Edited by Big Water

One of the considerations in selecting a swivel is whether it will go through the rod tip, eyes and through a level wind guide. I use the #8 SPRO power swivel for this and it is rated at 50 lbs which is plenty to do the job and I've never had one fail. The copper is considerably below that in breaking strength and I also use the haywire twist bit I don't use shrink wrap. I carefully wind the copper neatly with many turns above the connection and I've never had one of those fail either. I like to be able to examine the connection fully at all times for any strand damage or potential failure issues.

One of the considerations in selecting a swivel is whether it will go through the rod tip, eyes and through a level wind guide. I use the #8 SPRO power swivel for this and it is rated at 50 lbs which is plenty to do the job and I've never had one fail. The copper is considerably below that in breaking strength and I also use the haywire twist bit I don't use shrink wrap. I carefully wind the copper neatly with many turns above the connection and I've never had one of those fail either. I like to be able to examine the connection fully at all times for any strand damage or potential failure issues.

How does this look? 

IMG_2690_zpsiyjjrfqz.jpg

My initial loop on the swivel eyelet would be smaller and the curls are tighter toward the loop and I carefully press the little hair like projections at the end (single strand that may separate) totally rounded with the wire so I don't get stuck by it but Big Water has a good rationale for the use of the shrink wrap too. I would eliminate the first elongated wraps and just have the tightly wrapped section right next to the small loop. Some folks also wind the wire double through the eyelet of the swivel but it depends on what gauge wire and the swivel size and I don't prefer it because in the past when using single strand copper it broke sometimes and I felt that it may have been binding on itself.. Another option than using shrink wrap to protect your fingers from contact with individual strands of wire  is to use Seal All glue on the wrap itself. It is waterproof, impervious to gas or oil and clear so you can see inside it to monitor the condition of the wire and it stands up pretty good.

Try hollow core braid, it makes a super smooth transition from wire to backing and on the other end braid to leader. Tuna guys have been using it to top shot for a long time.

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So I have a 300 Copper on an Okuma CV55 - I purchased spro heavy swivels, size 4 rated for 240lb test...these were slightly too big. The only other swivels they had at the store were spro size 5 power swivels rated for 120lbs. Will these be enough? I guess the size is making think bigger would be stronger. 

To tie to these swivels, I just do a haywire twist with copper to swivel? Also, which size shrink wrap works best for this?

Would love any tips or advice you could give me

ThanksQ

I prefer Spro Heavy Swivels size 3 for my connections from copper to backing and also for copper to leader. 1/8" shrink tubing is what you are looking for.