2016 Healing Waters Salmon Slam

Teams signed up for the Salmon Slam:

93e235baab81b3211572a287690dba78.jpg

Teams signed up for Big Fish Friday:

ab5d772ce66d158fb3688d76326f80d8.jpg

This year's date is set, Saturday July 30th!

For those who haven't been involved or are not familiar with the event, this single day tournament is utilized as a way to help wounded and disabled veterans and active duty military by bringing them out on the water and sharing our passion for fishing with them.

The event is coordinated with Project Healing Waters, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to the physical and emotional rehabilitation of disabled active military service personnel and veterans through fishing education and outings.

The tournament rules will be the same as last year. There is no fee to enter the tournament other than bringing one or more of our PHW assigned veterans/servicemen out on your team. There will be three divisions, salmon, steelhead, and brown trout. The single largest veteran/serviceman caught fish wins each divsion and there will be separate prizes for Veterans and Captains. Also, each Veteran will be registered for the Summer LOC, so all teams previously registered for the summer LOC, will still be qualified with their Veteran on board.

Big things are happening this year! We have reached max capacity at Arneys and there are others looking to join, so we are holding the slam at two locations this year; Arneys and Hughes Marina. Same date, same format. We are still working on the details, but this should allow us to take additional boats this year and hence additional Veterans. Please just let me know which port you will be fishing out of when signing up.

We will of course all get together at Dockers Restaurant for dinner the night before for those that would like to come out and celebrate a night early and meet some of our Veterans. The cost is $30 per person and choice of Tavern steak, chicken parmesan, or haddock. Each meal includes a salad, bread, soda/coffee, desert, plus tax and tip.

There will be a Big Fish Friday on 7/29, you do not have to fish this in order to fish the Salmon Slam, but if you want a chance at taking some of your fellow Captain's money, it's a lot of fun. It is $50 per boat and the payout is 50/50 with the other half going to the event.

Big Fish Friday Rules:

$50 per boat with 50% going to the winner of largest salmon and 50% to the Salmon Slam for wounded and disabled Veterans and Servicemen. You can begin fishing anytime after 12:01 AM and from any port, but must weigh in at Arneys Marina by 2PM.

You do not need to participate in the Salmon Slam to fish BFF.

Payment must be received by Thursday July 28th. You can send me a check by mail (message me for my address), drop it off at my boat at Arneys Marina, or paypal me at [email protected]. If using paypal, please make sure to include your boat name in the comments and send me a message to let me know you paid.

2016 Sodus Bay Healing Waters (SBHW) Salmon Slam Rules

• All fish must be caught legally in accordance with NYSDEC regulations. All entered fish must be caught in U.S waters of Lake Ontario
  • All boats must leave from and return to Sodus Point or Hughes Marina NY. Vessels leaving from or returning to other ports are not eligible to participate.
  • All boats must sign in at the registration table in Arneys/Hughes parking lot by 6:00 am on Saturday July 30th, 2016.
  • Each boat will have a minimum of two participants, one of which is a tournament supplied Veteran or volunteer.
  • Veterans will arrive by 6:15am and begin boarding their designated boats.
  • All boats will leave out front of Arneys/Hughes Marina at 6:30 a.m. and travel through the channel to the lake together, once through the channel and in the lake, boats may separate and begin fishing.
  • All boats must provide at least one cellular phone number at the registration table.
  • If the lake is deemed too rough for the Salmon Slam by the tournament coordinator, prizes will be raffled off to teams who take the veterans fishing in the bay for bass, perch, etc. or for a cruise of the bay. (Boats may take their Veterans fishing on the lake if the Captain deems their vessel safe for the rough lake conditions and still be eligible for the raffle).
  • Any tournament change due to weather will be made by 6:30 a.m. on the day of the event.
  • Fishing will end at 12:30pm.
  • Weigh in will be at Arney’s/Hughes Marina beginning at 1:00 p.m. and end at approximately 1:30 p.m. (or when all fish are weighed in). Participants must be in line with their fish/cooler no later than 1:30 p.m.
  • Legal fish species will be any salmon and trout. All fish must meet the minimum NYSDEC size limits at the time of weigh in. Any team bringing non-legal fish to the weigh in will be immediately disqualified.
  • Each team’s largest salmon, steelhead, and brown trout can be used for weigh in. All fish must be brought to the weigh station in coolers.
  • Scoring will be based on weight, 1 point per pound.
  • In the case of a tie, each captain will enter their name into a hat and the winner will be drawn.
  • The largest individual salmon, rainbow trout (steelhead) and brown trout will each receive awards.
  • Additional prizes will be given to Captains and Veterans by raffle:
  • Each team’s single largest fish weighed in will receive raffle tickets based upon weight:
  • 0-9 lbs = 1 ticket
  • 10-29 lbs = 2 tickets
  • 30+ lbs = 3 tickets
[*]All participants agree to hold Tournament Committee members, Project Healing Waters, Arneys Marina, Hughes Marina, Sponsors, their agents and volunteers harmless from any liability of any nature or kind for injuries and/or damages suffered by the participant during this event.

[*]Participants agree to grant permission to use any photographs and videos taken during the derby or awards to the Tournament Committee and any sponsors.

[*]All fish will be examined by the weigh master prior to being weighed. Any fish that has fungus or rot, freezer burns, clouded eyes, slimy gills and unresponsive flesh will be disqualified.

[*]Participants agree that all decisions of the Tournament Committee are final.

[*]No disposal of fish will be allowed at the weigh in. All fish must be removed from the weigh in property. Any participants disposing of fish at the weigh in property will be immediately disqualified from the tournament and any future events.

[*]All tournament communication should be conducted on VHF Channel 9.

[*]We promote open communication during this event in the hopes that every Veteran is able to fight a fish.

[*]In the event of Emergency or returning to port early, please call the tournament coordinator, Nick Allers, at (484) 302-1590.

Edited by Ruff Rider

Thanks for the info Nick. It will be hard to beat last years event but I'm sure it will be done.

It gets bigger and better every year. And thanks for all that you do for the veterans of this country.

I know it's still early but my vote for dinner is the same place as last year. It worked out great, we were all together and had room to mingle.

Edited by bout time

I know it's still early but my vote for dinner is the same place as last year. It worked out great, we were all together and had room to mingle.

I agree, but last I heard it shut down. We will have to see if someone else opens it back up this year.

Looks like we will have Field & Stream on board this year as a sponsor of the event, possibly with spooling up reels with line for free. If that is what they end up doing, what type and poundage of line would everyone like to see them bring?

20lb or 30lb Berkley/Trilene Big Game.

I normally use 20 and then splice in 150' of 30 after the fleas show up heavy

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by bout time

Nick, a little heads up re: Capt. Jack's. His addition last year is drawing several weddings on weekends. I have a meeting with him today on another issue, (pro-am), let me run it by him on a "what if" and see if the date is even available.

Nick, a little heads up re: Capt. Jack's. His addition last year is drawing several weddings on weekends. I have a meeting with him today on another issue, (pro-am), let me run it by him on a "what if" and see if the date is even available.

Great thanks Dane!

Looks like I finally have that weekend off this year. The Reel Hooked Up boat would love to be in!

Welcome aboard Sean!  Which port do you think you'll be fishing out of, Sodus or Hughes?  Also, let me know if you'll want to fish BFF and I'll add you to the roster.

Welcome aboard Sean! Which port do you think you'll be fishing out of, Sodus or Hughes? Also, let me know if you'll want to fish BFF and I'll add you to the roster.

Sodus and it looks good for Friday as of right now. Thanks again Sean

Nick

I'll be there again this year, hopefully my boat cooperates or I'll be hitching a ride again with Sammy. 

I also might as well make my donation to BFF again

I can bring up a certified digital platform scale for weigh in so we don't have to use a cob job like last year, maybe we can speed up the process a little.

See you at Arney's

Roy

Hey Nick, LE will be happy to participate again this year.  The crew I had last year has already asked if they can do it with me again this season, so I guess they had fun :)  

On a side note, I had the pleasure of meeting up for a couple drinks with my Vet from last year's Salmon Slam while on vacation in Key West this past winter. Both he and another Vet he was vacationing with both raved about the Salmon Slam and said many of the participating vets look forward to it all year. 

It's a great event and I'd be thrilled to be apart of it again. You do such a great thing for the Vets Nick, I applaud you my friend!