Rod Holders - Triple Tree or Triple horizontal?

I'm looking to add some more rod holders to my boat this summer to better facilitate running multiple inline planers per side or multiple lines off full size boards.

I've run boards in the past but always stuck to one line per board/side and throw the rod in my dipsey holder or extra downrigger holder.

When running multiple lines per side, what type of rod holders do you guys find to be easiest, most efficient, etc and why?  It seems the options are either a vertical tree (great lakes planers etc) or horizontal (big jon, tite lok etc).

Thanks!

Thanks - obviously I'll need ones that you can rotate each holder around the mast, correct?

Also - are these any good for storage of rods while under power etc?

Mine are fixed position holders with a rotating base and I have never had a problem. My rods are in the trees when I'm running.

Check out maddocks.com a set of triple trees with adjustable bases to my door for around 215$ is hard to beat.

Cisco holders on horizontal track. Ciscos are easy to adjust on two axis, and the best you can get. . The farthest rod out is pretty much straight up and down and then angle the rest as you go back.

×2 on the cisco .... just bought a complete system and they preformed better than expected today for splash down

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by minion

Mine are fixed position holders with a rotating base and I have never had a problem. My rods are in the trees when I'm running.

Check out maddocks.com a set of triple trees with adjustable bases to my door for around 215$ is hard to beat.

You're link is taking us to a beer commercial

I tried the shipping estimate for 2 triple trees , pivot bases, and three additional caps which came to $134 and the cheapest shipping estimate was $142 and hopefully that calculator is messed up and not the actual cost :lol:

I have a pair of Traxtech triple vertical trees on my Hewescraft, they are very ruggedly made, & have worked as promised for the last three years. IMHO vertical trees work best for running in line boards. Having the rods stacked is much easier to work with for me.

Good luck with what ever you end up choosing!

John

Agree with the other comments here. Vertical trees are definitely the most efficient way to organize your rods for inline boards. I bought some aluminum tube and welded up my own. Not sure that I saved any $ though, as I'm using Traxstech swivel bases for them. For everything else I use Cisco horizontals and Down East Salty cradle holders. I'm getting so I like the cradle holders and my next purchase will be Cisco cradles. They have risers that you can add to them.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered a pair of triple trees from Mad docks. I also had them make 2 plates to bolt to the boat so I can easily remove the trees from the plates when not in use. That way I'm not climbing under the gunnel every time I want to take them off. (similar to the big jon planer mast mounting system I already have)  They cost about $190 for the pair shipping included. That's pretty hard to beat. I don't expect them to be fancy but they should be functional.

I just called and they said shipping was about $30. They called me today and asked more questions about how I wanted the plates done and they are working on it now.  Seem like very nice people, hopefully they get it figured out.

Can someone with these mad docks holders give me some measurements? What is the height from the base to the base to the start or the lower rod holder. And from the end of the lower holder straight down to where it would be level with the base. Just want to make sure the bottom holder is at the right height and angle for a rod to clear my gunwales if mounted on the front bench seat of my 14ft boat I think it will but would be a lot of money to spend only being able to use 2 of 3 holders

My story doesn't have as happy an ending as I'd hoped.  I got a call back and they didn't understand the specs I wanted for the mounting plate.  I explained the number of holes and positions to a tech and he said ok.  A couple hours later I get a call that they are going to cost an extra $100 on top of the already quoted price.  I told them that I thought that was too much and the lady said angrily that they already made one. I offered to give them more than their price that I was already quoted but she wouldn't come to an agreement at that price.  Anyway, I am now getting just the trees and need to find someone to make the base plates I would like.

Does anyone have a suggestion for where to get 2 plates made to mount these trees?

Depending on the diameter of vertical tube, a company by the name of high seas gear sells just the mounting plate.  Their website is www.highseasgear.com.  Hope that helps.