Rod Holders - Triple Tree or Triple horizontal?

Why not get a mounting plate from cannon or any backing plate and just drill the holes yourself using the bases as a template?

I used synthetic decking for all my backing plates. I figured I had marine plywood so the synthetic stuff has to be a step up from plywood.

Edited by Chas0218

There are a variety of options for sure.  The trees have a base plate of their own that is welded to the tube that has 4 holes drilled into it already.  I don't mind drilling more but I haven't received them yet so I can't make any real decisions.  Just trying to feel out options.  I want the base plate to be drilled and tapped so the trees can come off easily.

Not sure if you thought about this but you could drill the base to accept one of those cannon down rigger  swivel bases then you could rotate the whole tree using the down rigger base.This could work for any rigger base.

Can someone with these mad docks holders give me some measurements? What is the height from the base to the base to the start or the lower rod holder. And from the end of the lower holder straight down to where it would be level with the base. Just want to make sure the bottom holder is at the right height and angle for a rod to clear my gunwales if mounted on the front bench seat of my 14ft boat I think it will but would be a lot of money to spend only being able to use 2 of 3 holders

I think these are the specs you are looking for, I have the swivel track bases for mine.

post-150612-0-54287200-1460236291_thumb.jpeg

Got the trees yesterday.  They look like they will work just fine.  The finish isn't that great but I didn't really expect it to be since the price is so reasonable.

For those of you that already have trees mounted, how far out laterally do you have them mounted?  Meaning, do the rod holders themselves stick out farther than the beam of your boat or did you tuck them in so they are basically flush with the width of your boat?  I'm just wondering if it needs to be considered for docking purposes?  Especially when fishing during early spring when water levels are low and the dock is higher the gunwale.

Thanks,

DJ

Got the trees yesterday. They look like they will work just fine. The finish isn't that great but I didn't really expect it to be since the price is so reasonable.

For those of you that already have trees mounted, how far out laterally do you have them mounted? Meaning, do the rod holders themselves stick out farther than the beam of your boat or did you tuck them in so they are basically flush with the width of your boat? I'm just wondering if it needs to be considered for docking purposes? Especially when fishing during early spring when water levels are low and the dock is higher the gunwale.

Thanks,

DJ

Every set I have ever seen, and the set I had mounted, were mounted right up on the gunnel. I really liked it there. It made for a clean and neat fishing platform, while still having me a good place to store rods while underway. I simply rotated the trees 90 degrees towards the transom. This puts them flush with the side of your boat, and gives you a good place to store rods until needed. I suppose you could mount them inward of the gunnel though, like on a bench or something, just as long as you could still rotate them outward to troll with. I attached a pic of my old boat with the trees mounted. Not a great pic but you can see how they would rotate to travel, or to troll with. Hope this helps.

post-155053-14605605869725_thumb.jpg

Guffin,

I am going to mount them on top of the gunwale just like you have there. My main question is for those that have them mounted on a fixed plate. Do you have the rod tubes sticking out wider than the boat or even with the edge of the boat itself?

Guffin,

I am going to mount them on top of the gunwale just like you have there. My main question is for those that have them mounted on a fixed plate. Do you have the rod tubes sticking out wider than the boat or even with the edge of the boat itself?

I see what your asking. The trees you bought don't rotate in the base. I would say mount them on the gunnel either way. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better suggestion. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Mine stick out somewhat. I usually keep the bottom one almost parallel to the boat then add a little twist to the next.

IMG950904_zpswegmx4qz.jpg

I have also ran them straight out perpendicular to the gunnel. Only thing you have to watch is the tow line for big boards.

IMG_113158814086975_zps0csmvwvo.jpeg

Edited by Chas0218

Another thought for you is to set up the trees using a portable mount and placing them in the forward rod holder. I have used this system on our 21 ft for the past 5 years

and it works great. Gives you a lot of flexibility when you use the boat for different types of fishing and don't need the trees.