bronze and aluminum

rolmops

I just got my bronze B60 thru hull transducer in today and reading through the manual it said not to install a bronze transducer on an aluminum boat because of electrolysis issues (galvanic oxidation). I would take this very seriously if I was docking my boat in salt water all season long,but I trailer my boat and I fish it  for maybe 8 hours every 2 weeks. I am looking for opinions and experiences comparable of what I just described and how much of an issue electrolysis really is in this case.

Thank you,Cornelis.

That is why they make it in stainless steel if you go to Airmar site I believe they tell you that under the instructional and brochure part. Buy the SS instead. I'm in the market for a B60 20 degree for a Furuno 585, ready to buy they Gil from THT. If you have what I was gonna buy maybe we can work out a deal, I can buy yours and you can re-order a SS one. Just an idea.

I wouldn't run either through my hull personally. Aluminum doesn't play nice with dissimilar metals- bronze/copper may be the worse, but stainless steal is not far behind. Make sure you separate them, be it some kind of plastic/rubber sheath or 5200, or you will have electrolysis, and like mentioned above, you won't know until she punches through the hull. Ask anybody you know with SS screws holding anything in their aluminum boat- just bad, keep an eye on her.

I installed  the bronze transducer with heavy duty rubber on the top and the bottom and an o-ring where it comes through the hull. All of it encased in 5200. What I did not like about that setup was that the transducer started to stick out under the bottom and I was afraid that this would cause water turmoil around it instead of a smooth flow. The electrolysis would really not have been an issue at all ,because bronze and copper were completely separated. So I removed the bronze and I hope that the stainless steel will arrive today so I can install it this weekend.

At semperfi fishing. You can find him at the hull truth website. You can talk to Gil Travis by phone and he will help you pick the right connections when you order.

Please bear in mind that Gil is on pacific time.

Edited by rolmops

I wouldn't run either through my hull personally. Aluminum doesn't play nice with dissimilar metals- bronze/copper may be the worse, but stainless steal is not far behind. Make sure you separate them, be it some kind of plastic/rubber sheath or 5200, or you will have electrolysis, and like mentioned above, you won't know until she punches through the hull. Ask anybody you know with SS screws holding anything in their aluminum boat- just bad, keep an eye on her.

Also true. AL and anything not good.