Tohatsu 8hp experience?

Frogger

Was looking to make an upgrade to a 4stroke kicker and a little more HP, was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the Tohatsu's, saw Tim's Islander pics and it looks great. I realize they are somewhat Mercury but just wanted to get some feedback if any was out there. I'll have a 6hp Evinrude for sale soon if anyone is interested. Thanks for any feedback.

I have a friend that bought a 8HP high thrust last year , he is a very fussy particular person when it comes to spending his money.. He is more than pleased with the Tohastu . I fished with him a few times and his  8HP kicker runs as well as my Yammy 8 and 9HP high thrust kickers. Good product and price I would buy it . They run much smoother than your 6HP

Edited by bigblue

I'm thinking about the same motor Mike to replace my 9.9 2 stroke and the online outboards looks like a good tip :)

I just put a brand new Tohatsu 9.8 on my boat and took it out this morning for it's shakedown trip.  So far I'm very pleased - super quiet and smooth running motor.  My friend was comparing it to his Honda.  I don't have a large boat (18.5ft) and when I was at the planer mast reeling in the boards you couldn't hear it running.

Yes the main problem with my 2 stroke is that I can't hear people talking while it is running otherwise it runs great  etc. but that is annoying.

Thanks guys for the feedback. I never noticed the Suzuki being Efi. I'm with you too Les mine runs like a top but the noise and mixing...... Done. Ready to have one line to the motors. I should pull the trigger this week hopefully.

I have nothing but good things to say about the Tohatsu.  I have a 2006? 9.8 4-stroke.  I've run it 2 seasons - and HARD too, as I do a lot of 3.5-4.5 mph trolling for steelies.  It hardly burns any gas.  I think the most I've run through is 2 gallons on a really long day.  When I'm trolling for browns/lakers, it runs near idle and sips gas.

Do the 9.8 4 stocks have a charging system if so does anyone know how many amps they put out?I have had honda's in the past and been pleased but they are expensive

Frogger

I ran an 8hp tohatsu 4stk with elec start as a kicker on my lund and it always ran great - had a controllKing on it .  I would definately recomend Online OBs - I bought 3 different motors from them and they were great to deal with 

The electric start models do have charging...that's what I just purchased. After 6 hours on the boat and after getting home to the garage, I plugged the charger to the battery and it was at 95%.

5 year warranty on them too

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I'm not sure if it is the same with new motors but my 2 stroke 9.9 has always have electric start and the alternator and I was told by an experienced mechanic that in order for it to be charging to any significant degree the motor has to be running at a substantial speed and faster than a slow troll.

Edited by Sk8man

Sk8man - that's what I read too regarding higher RPM's for charging....Which is why I was shocked at the 95% left on the battery when I got home.  All I was using it for was trolling and it's still in break-in period so I didn't give the throttle too much at all.

We got an 8HP Tohatsu Electric start around 2011 and it seems to charge the batteries pretty well. A couple times we had very low batteries and just trolled an hour or so till we could start the main motor.

No issues with the motor either, much quieter than the old 2 cycle. Pushes our 21' very well too.

Tohatsu is the manufacturer of their own brand, Nissan and Mercury 4 strokes smaller than 20 hp (or was it 50, I forget). The only difference between them is the stickers they put on the outside.

Mercs are up to and including 30hp Tim,  as well as the full Nissan line, they are also supplying all of OMC's  ( Evinrude's ) small engine's from the 3.5 to 15hp.