Tohatsu 8hp experience?

Frogger

Mercs are up to and including 30hp Tim, as well as the full Nissan line, they are also supplying all of OMC's ( Evinrude's ) small engine's from the 3.5 to 15hp.

Yeah sorry Hank, that was unclear, I was specifically referring to the Mercs with the size. Regarding Nissan, Tohatsu flat out states that the only difference between the Tohatsu and Nissan lines is the stickers that go on the cowling. Somw people are willing to pay more for the Nissan Name and perceived additional resale value, so they accommodate that, but the motors are identical. I didn't care about that, so I saved a few bucks and got the Tohatsu.

I have a 2014 9.8 tohatsu with the electric start and trim. when I am in the front of the boat all i can hear in the tell tale going into the water not the motor running. I had a 2 stroke 9.9 johnson but the mixing, extra tank and fumes were just too annoying, my dad has a 20 that he has had for 3-4 years and he loves it. 

Frogger,

I have had my 9.8 Tohatsu new since 2009. It is dependable, super efficient and basically wonderful. I use it as a kicker on my 190 Starcraft Superfisherman. It acts as a second motor as well as my troller. I also use it on my 13 ft Meyers for Hemlock lake and others where small craft are the limit. In the past 20 years I have had or been partners in many 2 strokes and 4 strokes. For my money the Tohatsu is the only one I will have. I believe this bad boy will out last me. Mine is not electric start so I can't comment on charging. It's basically a 1 pull machine and has been since 2009. 

Just started looking for kickers after having to have a tow in once and a limp in last year.  25 Cobia cuddy cabin - around 5000 lbs I think.  Any recommendations for kicker size?

Edited by vetting

Just started looking for kickers after having to have a tow in once and a limp in last year.  25 Cobia cuddy cabin - around 500 lbs I think.  Any recommendations for kicker size?

From my experience with my 26' Penn Yan I would go with a 4 stroke 9.9 or 15 hp High Thrust model ( you pick the color) with a 25" shaft.

I would also encourage you to invest in electric start and power trim. 

As long as I'm spending your money you might as well get a TR-1 auto pilot too !  

I can tell you Les, she purred in the driveway. Guy talked me into the 9.8 vs the 8hp pointing out that you won't see the increased hp until you open her up. Trolling speeds I should still be fine with copper. So ended up with electric start and because I was such a nice guy, he knocked off another 30.00. Lol. Fit on the boat nice. Just have to get the ez steer hooked up. post-150509-14592708282104_thumb.jpg

Frogger,

You should not be disappointed. Remember that ethanol gas is not it's friend and the people who sell them are your friend (they know their product). Just as a side note. I am a fresh water guy and when I visited Maine's coast I went to a shop where Tohatsu was featured and was able to verify that the same motor I use for fresh water is also used in salt water. It's that good.

Picked up a 9.8 Saturday. Took it out today for a little break in time. Stopped to talk to a friend that was trapping in the river and when we took off I started it and if not for the water pumping out could not hardly hear it running. Nice since I'm just using it to troll with a 14 ft boat.