Leader for spring browns

Just a little side issue to think about....if you intend to release the fish you catch there is something to be said for using 12 lb test over 8 lb in terms of the amount of time usually necessary playing the fish because you have to take it easier with the 8 lb as well as set your drag lighter usually.  You also may get a little better action from sticks with lighter lines and browns are notoriously line shy so you may get more hits with lighter smaller diameter line. It is always somewhat of a trade off. It still boils down to what you feel comfortable with and have confidence in  and tend to have the best results with over time. I go either way depending on water conditions and clarity most of the time. The quality of your drag and the settings can be much more important than the pound test of the line itself.

Edited by Sk8man

True but what I was referring to is Bazooka Joe's comment about the kings. A 15 or 20 lb king is a handful on 8 lb test line.

My browns/walleye rods (Eagle Claw Starfire 7' 6" Lites) have Daiwa 17 or 27s spooled with 6# Maxi. When things are really tough I'll albright to 6 FC leader but it's pretty rare. The average spring kings I run into can be handled on these rigs (if you are prudent). At the end of the flat line deal I usually run a pair of 47s spooled with 20lb Maxi on Okuma Blue Diamond ML rigger rods for my flat lines because that's when an occasional brute will be in the mix. These are my summertime spoon rigger rods as well.