Bass fishing Lake Ontario

So I have only trolled lake Ontario for trout\salmon but I also love to bass fish.  My question is where do you start? Just work the shorelines? What method do you typically use when you fish for them? And lastly is there a lot of bass in Lake Ontario? Is it worth going out with some buddies and going after them? 

You have to get out a little deeper for the smallmouth now days. Usually start around 40 to 60 ft and drift to 20 mid summertime. Some days deeper. Drift with a mushroom anchor, concrete in a coffee can, dragging a gravel bottom, & cast rubber crawdads in the cloud the drag makes works for me. Pull up the drag and keep drifting over the spot till it slows down, drag again.

You will hear a lot of mixed reviews on smallies in the lake. Being you're pretty far east of the negative feedback I typically hear from guys fishing for them, you should be in a good area. I try to find them in the summer around 25 to 15 FOW. Not much of a bait fisherman but it can be hard to resist soft shells in the lake. Find out where they are hanging out, when you mark a bunch just drift around and drop shot for them whether it's live or artificial bait

• 2 weeks later...

I caught like 15 in an hour and a half right behind the fort in Oswego using Mr Twisters. Can't get back there anymore on shore but you can easily fish it from a boat. I don't wanna hear any of the spot burner guys because 90% of oswegos population fishes in that spot.

Edited by PeltHunter