how far back?

Here’s another question for you boys. I don’t fish the depth that you guys do normally no deeper than 35ft. I see that you guys keep you lures/spoons close to the downrigger weights.

I’m looking to use spoons and buck tails this year and I need to know how far back in the water depth that I stated should I run my lures?

As a general rule the deeper I'm fishing the shorter the lead. In clear shallow water for Browns I will drop back as much as 200 feet. Out deep for salmon there are days where the fish want it right off the ball like 5 feet and there are times when they won't touch it unless it's 40+ foot back. Let them tell you where to run it.

Glen

First off, why is it that you don't fish any deeper than 35 feet? There are times, when if you want to consistantly take silvers, that you will have to concentrate deeper than that. Such as when we get usually a leading edge of a high pressure system with sustained winds out of the N.W. This will shove preferred temps ( 42-54) to depths of over 100 feet and deeper. Having said that, and picking up on what Glen mentioned, let the fish tell you want they want on a particular day. This is when the thermocline has developed. How? Usual starting set up for us, would be 3 riggers set at 42, around 48 and 56 degrees. All of these will have fixed cheaters with leads of app. 6 feet. The leads off the ball will range from 5 feet off the deep set to around 30 feet off the high rigger. Off the sides, will be 2 wire divers set to catch what depth I feel where the targets should be located due to temp and where bait is being seen. At least one core off the side with an in-line targeting those higher riding steelies, and giving me a longer stealth approach to my set up. We usually fish with 3 so this gives me my 6 rod legal spread. If fishing 1 more person, another core goes in, along with a thumper rod. So the morning starts off with a core firing, more than any other rod. Wire divers are cold, but also you took a shot on your highest set rigger set at 30 back. The fish now are telling you to run longer leads behind any disturbance, albeit a rigger ball. So now you want to pull a wire diver, and possibly employ a slide mono diver into the mix. If pattern continues, then possibly add another until this drys up. On the flip side of this. Say the deep set fires with a tight lead, or the fixed cheaters are taking shots, the fish are now in a more aggressive mood. This is when your wire divers should also be active, if not then start changing that set up. So in conclusion, sorry this is so long. To limit yourself to a depth of 35 feet and up, is often handicapping yourself. There will be times when this will happen. Spring time, or after a hard N.E. wind that will flip the lake, after the cline sets up,among others. Head offshore and find some warmer water and fish that. But lastly don't limit yourself to a particular depth, not only does each day change, but also by the hour.

That’s right I just fish the St Lawrence. I’m not in your league I’m a short water troller. I troll for large Pike Walleyes and Bass. I don’t even mess with the Musky’s. ;)