Outer Banks fishing

RD9

Going Saturday for five days family vacation but that means we will be fishing. Staying on Ocean and Nags head. I am going to try surf fishing but will also trying fishing off the beach and piers. Rigging up some rigger rods with spinning gear and obvouisly bring my regular spinning rods. Any advice would really help. We will also be booking a nearshore and offshore trip. Please comment any help would be appreciated.

Bonner Bridge area Oregon inlet bridge Go over to OLD  coast guard station. South side of bridge, there is a parking lot ocean side. Can catch quite a few diff species there. Fished there many times. Flounder, drum...sharks.( usually later in year) Throw a float out with cut bait squid etc. Watch tides. I usually wade, wear boots / waders .   Pretty simple there. At least you wont need to pay to fish on pier.

The surf fishing will be pretty slow on the Northern beaches(Duck,Corolla,Nags Head) this time of year ,except for skates & dogfish. It would be a little bit of a drive, but Buxton & south will give you the best chance to connect on some fish. A SW wind will really helps this time of year. They have been catching some puppy drum(slot red drum), blow toads(puffers=tasty)  blues ,some flounder and a few black drum. Some big red drum( 40 + inchers) have also been caught the last few days at the point and down on Ocracoke. You can soak some bunker on the bottom for some big drum on a 10 to 11 ft surf rod, and then take a 7 ft spinning rod and cast bucktails or curly tails(4" Gulp swimming mullet is my favorite) on 1/2 to 3/4 oz jigs for the smaller drum, blues and flounder. If you are thinking of doing a charter, we go with Jay Daniels on Runaway out of Teach's Lair. We do 3 to 4 charters a year with him and have never been disappointed. BlackfinTuna fishing has been good when they can go and they have pulled a few big bluefin as well.  You can always bottom fish for triggerfish, beeliners (vermillion snapper) and Amberjack if the tuna don't want to play. We go to Hatteras 3 to 4 times a year, it's one of our favorite places to visit.  We are leaving on Tuesday for a quick 5 day trip and will be staying in Buxton for this trip.  Surf rods are all packed and ready to go.You can buy a 7 day OVR permit to drive on the beach for $50 at the Park office. Make sure you take a jack,shovel,board and tow strap if you want to try the beach. We might do a charter if the conditions a cooperate. Hope this helps, have fun.

Edited by Reel Scream

I fished off the Avalon Pier in Kitty Hawk and caught tons of dogfish and a juvenile flounder. Cut Mullet on the bottom. Can't remember if we had to pay to use the pier but the fish were biting well and it was fun. This trip was in November, but I would think the same fish would be there and dogfish are very easy to catch. Hope this helps.

Hey, I will be out there end of july. Renting a beach house in Nags Head area. Will be doing some fishing as well. cant wait! never fished the surf. 

The shark fishing is a blast from the beach in the summer.  I was there 2 summers ago in August and hooked into a beast  on my surf rod but never saw it.  50# test wasn't enough apparently.  Did see about a 7' black tip get pushed up onto the beach 20' away from me before another wave came in and allowed it to swim away.