Hey guys,

A bit of an argument with a friend of mine so can someone help me clear it up.

Will be out mid April for Browns. After the morning bite we will be going deeper with my copper setups and downriggers for lakers. If the remote chance happens we find some early kings, I am saying I need to have 20lb or heavier fluro on my rods, he is saying 12lb test. To me that's way too light in case any kings happen to be around. I know the lakers aren't line shy so going heavier shouldn't be an issue.

What should I have for leader on those copper and downrigger setups that will be in deeper water?

thanks!

-SLFNH

before fleas made it impossible, all I ever used on my rigger rods for kings all season long was 12 lb.  Many  30+ pounders boated on that line over the years.

Edited by Tim Bromund

I run 20 lbs big game right to the swivel on my down rigger rods. On my junk lines I leader with 15 or 20. Last season we lost our first 2 spring kings on 12 lbs leader on rigger bites. My buddy that isn't very seasoned was on the rod. We left the leaders off and had no more problems.

5232071F-25AB-4DB0-B95F-98F1D1B5F6C7.jpg

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I have 15 lb test on my reels...I just spooled them up with seaguar for browns...should I run a lighter leader? If so what length? I have a bunch of 10 lb seaguar fluorocarbon...or should I just respool with 10 lbs? I figured 15 would be good all around for lake Ontario... Didn't realize browns were that line shy

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think for spring King your absolutely nucking futz to run anything less than 12#. 10# & 8# if you want to donate tackle.

Clear water your gonna get squat fishing for browns anyways. So why not use 12-15#? Browns wont see it in stained water anyways. I use 14# leader with zero issues inshore and offshore in April/may.

I have 15 lb test on my reels...I just spooled them up with seaguar for browns...should I run a lighter leader? If so what length? I have a bunch of 10 lb seaguar fluorocarbon...or should I just respool with 10 lbs? I figured 15 would be good all around for lake Ontario... Didn't realize browns were that line shy

The th

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You'll be fine with the 10 lbs leaders. We caught many Browns last year in gin clear water with 12 lbs leaders and 20 main. Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

I run 20 lbs big game right to the swivel on my down rigger rods. On my junk lines I leader with 15 or 20. Last season we lost our first 2 spring kings on 12 lbs leader on rigger bites. My buddy that isn't very seasoned was on the rod. We left the leaders off and had no more problems.

5232071F-25AB-4DB0-B95F-98F1D1B5F6C7.jpg

And that's the problem Joe. If you don't have ultra-smooth drags or have inexperienced people on the rod, you're asking for lost fish on light leaders.

Good points made about inexperienced folks or those unfamiliar with new tackle etc. and the importance of the drag quality.  I will say though that for all the years before the fleas we trolled all season long including the Fall with 12 lb mono (before the use of fluoro leaders also) and seldom lost fish or equipment but it was also with familiar equipment, large capacity reels (Diawa 47H reels) and experienced folks.

Edited by Sk8man

I would second that I think you will donate tackle with light leaders with Kings around.  They are usually 2 year olds that will wreak havoc.  If you have an inline dragging there is a lot of additional pressure.  I probable lose more tackle to large cohos then anything.  A 8-10 lb Coho doing their death spin break split rings, line, clasps etc.  As stated, you are going to find them in stained water anyway so you don't need light leaders!  

I run 12# big game (green) on my board rods,leader down to 8# floro for the inside/shallow browns. There are lots of fish hanging in the gin clear water and I want my best presentation for them while I'm looking for the colored water. Rigger rods are 35# big game leadered down to 20 floro for flasher/fly and down to 10# for the stacker/spoon rods . Wire rods have 30# floro that acts like a shock absorber . Works for me ?

Good points made about inexperienced folks or those unfamiliar with new tackle etc. and the importance of the drag quality.  I will say though that for all the years before the fleas we trolled all season long including the Fall with 12 lb mono (before the use of fluoro leaders also) and seldom lost fish or equipment but it was also with familiar equipment, large capacity reels (Diawa 47H reels) and experienced folks.

this is how I grew up on the kings all the rods had 12 or 14lb with no leaders.  dipseys were 20lb mono.  It was a different lake in those days.  quality 12lb and loosen the drag and your good to go for leaders.  I put heavier on rods with flashers and such just because of the twist.