Rods for eye trolling ?

scobar

I suppose it depends on what technique you mean.  Overall, I prefer St. Croix rods but I do have some Diawa's for downriggers & Dipseys.  For bottom bouncing with a three-way, which is the technique I like the most, I use St. Croix Premier Series, PC66MF, Med Power, Fast Action, one piece.

Although they eat good, the eyes aren't going to test your tackle real hard. I love my $23 Eagleclaw 7'6" SF 400 ml rods for spring browns, walleyes, and Flx fishing on the riggers and planners. They work pretty decent with snap weights off the boards too. They are a little too wambly for core and inlines.

I use the okuma 8'6" GLT classic pro most of them with 20lbs. mono and 12lbs. fluorocarbon leader the mono has a little more give than a braid setup.

Edited by Chas0218

Is anyone using inline boards with the ugly sticks? I tried a couple, G2 or some thing like that. They had too much bend with the drag from the board. I'm just tryin to get some opinions out there for scobar

Edited by EsoxOnly

I never had one of the depthmaster rods snap but did have one split. I think it might have been from my buddy dropping it on the aluminum livewell. Those rods are made from a carbon blank so they aren't as rugged as the ugly sticks or okuma classics. 

Legacy had some 8'6" okuma glt in the classified section for $20/piece.

Edited by Chas0218

Had 4 snap when I gave them a try in 2013 as the price was appealing (you get what you pay for).  Cabelas replaced all 4, and I quickly GAVE AWAY all 12 that I had.  Ugly Stiks for Walleye and Browns in the Spring.  I use the Okuma Pro GLT's and Blue Diamonds for Salmon.  They're pretty good too - just too heavy for Walleye and Browns IMO.  

*1 snapped during fighting a 10+lb eye on 10lb test mono (somehow landed it).

*1 snapped fighting a ~12+lb Brown on 12lb test mono (lost the fish close to boat).

*1 snapped while trolling being used as a downrigger.  Couldn't take being cranked down as a rigger rod for long.  Suddenly just burst... unreal.

*1 snapped while attempting to release a downrigger rod when pulling lines.

I hope they changed the design because they were not "cheap" Sure they were on sale but $70 for a med/light rod is not cheap, as in  " you get what you pay for".